Sign in to follow this  
AMDin93103

Cold Low Pressure Washer w/ Foam Gun attachment?

Please bear with me as I am fairly new to pressure washers/pumps and their plumbing. I am an auto detailer using this set-up which consists of this AR pump and this B&S engine.

I would initially like to spray each vehicle I am washing with a PSI-reduced carwash-solution foam "sheet" and allow that to penetrate the dirt/film then continue with my wash and rinse at the original PSI. After some Googling I found these pressure washer foam guns but am unsure if they will meet my intentions. If my normal PSI is say, 1000 then I would like to reduce the PSI coming out of the foam gun to say 500 or 750 to minimize the overspray of solution and make sure that I am in fact "dressing" the vehicle instead of rinsing it.

So I guess in summation, what I need to accomplish is to:

-find an adjustable PSI-reducer (such a thing?)

-decide wether or not the foam guns above are in fact what I am looking for

-figure out how to piece it all together so everything operates properly(!)

If there is any other information you need, I am here! Looking forward to any tips/info anyone can shoot my way. Thanks!!

The ST-72 is a very nice piece of equipment Makes lots of foam with the right detergent.

Thanks for the recommendation on that model. Can I use the ST-72 with a soap "can" attached like fertilizing the lawn or would the "solution" have to come from my only water tank? I guess I left out that, after the initial "foam down" I would like to switch out the foam gun for my regular AL Sk-2 gun and rinse the soap, with my clean/RO water.

Also, how do I reduce the flow/psi of my pump . . . is that possible?

Sweet web site Andrew...:cool:

Like those pics in the blog...

Thanks a lot!! It has been quite some time since I updated the blog. BUsy detailing. I didn't get too many hits on it either. If you would like to see some of the other vehicles I worked on last year you can visit my site . . .com/gallery.

My new website is in the works right now. It will include some consumer education/ simple tutorials, linked gallery, local auto events calendar and a few other cool things.

Thanks a lot!! It has been quite some time since I updated the blog. BUsy detailing. I didn't get too many hits on it either. If you would like to see some of the other vehicles I worked on last year you can visit my site . . .com/gallery.

My new website is in the works right now. It will include some consumer education/ simple tutorials, linked gallery, local auto events calendar and a few other cool things.

cool i'm gonna check em out..

I see your page is built with Dreamweaver....I like the flash....I've been teaching myself how to work with Macromedia Flash..

Did you build your own site or Tepid linked from your page?

Tepid built this site but I have another designer working on my next. The new one will be built with DW and Flash as well. I can give you the contact info for each designer if you are interested, email me. The Ferrari is actually a 2004 360 Modena with one-off three piece wheels.

Can anyone answer my questions about the foaming pressure washer?!? :)

Can I use the ST-72 with a soap "can" attached like fertilizing the lawn or would the "solution" have to come from my only water tank?

You can use an upstream or downstream injector. No need to suds up the whole tank.

I guess I left out that, after the initial "foam down" I would like to switch out the foam gun for my regular AL Sk-2 gun and rinse the soap, with my clean/RO water.

Use a q/c between the gun and lance and switch as needed.

Also, how do I reduce the flow/psi of my pump . . . is that possible?

If you play with the unloader, you will be wasting time. You can reduce psi by simply using a larger orifice tip. Reducing flow can be accomplished with a metering valve on the extra high pressure port of the pump.

Thank you very much for your response OTP!

You can use an upstream or downstream injector. No need to suds up the whole tank.

Upstream converts the water to solution before the pump and downstream converts the solution after the pump? Is there a particular benefit of either?

Use a q/c between the gun and lance and switch as needed.

Just to clear this up in my mind, the lance aerates the solution leaving it's tip to produce foam, something a standard tip cannot do?

You can reduce psi by simply using a larger orifice tip.

Understood.

Reducing flow can be accomplished with a metering valve on the extra high pressure port of the pump.

Will this be necessary using a nozzle with a larger orifice? Would it be beneficial to get a combined metering valve/ injector or am I better off with two devices? Why?

I hope these questions aren't too ignant. I have been browsing through the Suttner site as well as Barens.com and trying to understand the way this stuff all works in unison. Thanks for getting me this far!

Upstream converts the water to solution before the pump and downstream converts the solution after the pump? Is there a particular benefit of either?

Yes. Cleaning chems can be very harsh on your pump. Downstreaming will increase pump life.

Just to clear this up in my mind, the lance aerates the solution leaving it's tip to produce foam, something a standard tip cannot do?

A lance is just an extension pipe. What Alan is saying is to put a quick connect at every joint and switch from rinse tip to foam/soap tip as needed.