Sign in to follow this  
Custom cleaning service

I've been trying to get price rates for my area

Question

I called the one and only pressure washer in my area(central maine)for a quote. I have been trying to find out average prices in my area.I was going to give him the dimensions of what i wanted done when he stoped me and said he gets $35.00 an hr no matter what he does.houses decks no matter how long it takes or how much scrubbing he has to do.When asked if he was insured he dodged the question and just asked when he could start.I dont think I am going to get any answers I am looking for from guys like this.......What do you think?

10 answers to this question

I called the one and only pressure washer in my area(central maine)for a quote. I have been trying to find out average prices in my area.I was going to give him the dimensions of what i wanted done when he stoped me and said he gets $35.00 an hr no matter what he does.houses decks no matter how long it takes or how much scrubbing he has to do.When asked if he was insured he dodged the question and just asked when he could start.I dont think I am going to get any answers I am looking for from guys like this.......What do you think?

That's really what it comes down to for most of us...what we need/want per hour. Most of us make a bit more than $35.00/hour, but then most of us are insured and know what we're doing! You have to figure out what a job it going to take as far as time and supplies, and what you need to make per hour for your business to be successful.

$35/hr is certainly a good rate...as long as he works at a decent pace. At $35/hr, most pressure washers would go broke; figuring expenses, not just the price of Budweiser. On the other hand, you may have been the 23rd student from the pressure washing class you took, asking him the same questions, and he was having some fun with you.

For me, how much I charge does not depend on what others charge. When I started 6 years ago, I thought $40 to 50/hr was great. As I have become faster/better/more efficient, $100/hr is more like it. A typical 2300 sq ft vinyl-sided house - excluding drive and deck - takes me about an hour to an hour and a half to clean - including brushing the outsides of the gutters and I charge $200 to $225 - or about .10 sq ft.

Wash your and some friends/neighbors houses, take before and after pics, put them in a binder, and show them to prospects. Most people will want a set price for your services, so by being honest with your pricing, you may take some of the established company's business.

I just ordered some powerwash and gutterzap to practice while it's slow.I am measureing and washing 3 different style houses for practice just to see how much s/f I can do in an hour.I stopped in to check with the place I bought my equipment and they said $.28 a foot is average or 85 an hr for this area.I have alot of people who wanna donate thier house for me to practice on,so i told them if they cover materials i would practice on thier house.Cant practice for free outta pocket right.

$28 is per LINEAR foot, not SQUARE foot. I've never measured the linear feet around a customer's house, so I can't compare. Also, linear feet does not take into consideration a second story.

Steve, no, my price does not include the roof. This year (fell off a roof last year and have had numerous operations since!) I have started subbing-out (most) roofs. For an average house, they run about $400.

no ins no work no matter how much.90% of my clients ask for references and ins.on average most of us will be in the $50 to $100 hr mark.

I just ordered some powerwash and gutterzap to practice while it's slow.I am measureing and washing 3 different style houses for practice just to see how much s/f I can do in an hour.I stopped in to check with the place I bought my equipment and they said $.28 a foot is average or 85 an hr for this area.I have alot of people who wanna donate thier house for me to practice on,so i told them if they cover materials i would practice on thier house.Cant practice for free outta pocket right.
Pratice makes perfect.dont rush at first take your time ,then you can speed up as you do more .the thing is not to miss anything .speed is good only when you feel comfortable .then you be okay.you want happy customers not mad ones.good luck on your adventure .dont be a stranger .there are alot of good people here that can help no matter what questions you have