Sign in to follow this  
Mountain View

House Paint Prep

Question

I haven't even finished getting all of my equipment and I already have a neighbor asking me to do "paint prep" cleaning on his house (paid of course). From a power washers point of view, what does "paint prep" mean? What kind of chems can I expect to need? This is kind of an open ended question I know. I'll be using a 3700 / 4 cold water unit. All input and opinions are graciously accepted. Well, as gracious as a heathen can be.

:taz:

7 answers to this question

Hi Pete,

For any paint prep just try to get the house as clean as possible. Use a simple detergent (we use R-109) to clean with double rinse. We do mostly stucco, what kind of substrate is the siding?

One thing I learned about paint preping is... Bid pletty high!! I spent a lot of extra time that I had not accounted for when stripping a house. Don't want to give you cold feet but I've had to redo one time.

Something to think about is the paint chips...where do they go... how picky are they??

Let them know right up front that a power washer gets the worst of it ... but if they want it perfect then they will still need to scrape it, unless you are doing that too.

Just a thoght or 2..

I also do painting so, just try to get as much of the chipped paint off as possible with washer then scrape as the others have said, but beware not to use to much preasure, chems i don't think would be needed if a wood sided home.my.02.good luckoh you may want to tarp off as much ground as possible so your not raking chips for 8 hrs. cover anything you feel my get exposes to those chips be careful if leaded paint....