Sign in to follow this  
GymRat

Which would you buy

I'm going to buy another cold water machine to clean mainly residential houses and concrete.

I a'm looking at a 3500psi - 8gpm machine vs a 5,000psi - 5.5 gpm.

I didn't know if I would have a lot of problems with the supply for 8gpm. I do have a 200 gallon float tank mounted in my trailer I can use, but that would confine that machine to my trailer. I was wondering if the higher pressure machine would make flat work with my surface cleaner faster.

Thanks, John:lgsideway

How are you going to keep the 200 gal tank replenished? If you hook to a faucet that supplies 5 gpm you will get about 40 minutes out of the tank before you have to shut down for lack of water. You are only replenishing 5/8 of the tank or 60%

How are you going to keep the 200 gal tank replenished? If you hook to a faucet that supplies 5 gpm you will get about 40 minutes out of the tank before you have to shut down for lack of water. You are only replenishing 5/8 of the tank or 60%

He will use a float tank which is a tank equiped with a valve that shuts the water source off when it reachs a certain level in the tank, and as you draw water in continues to replinish the supply tank via a hose connected to a spigot.

The 8@35 makes more sense in my opinion. With the 5.5@5 you're getting less flow (slower) and the psi is overkill which can/will lead to unnecessary wear on the concrete. :)

Not to mention the added difficulty and expense having to buy equipment, hoses, fittings, etc that are rated for that amount of pressure.

Thanks for all the help, 6-7 gpm supply just dictates that a 8gpm machine will not be as portable as I would like. It will have to run from my float tank.

Thanks again, John

You will not run out of water. I have a 8 gpm machine and have never ran out of water on resi jobs. Usually when I'm doing a deck, I have to shut off the spigot when I'm 3/4 of the way done so I don't have a full tank to cart around. The only you would run out of water is if you had a 100% flow tip and pulled the trigger constantly. I wash decks with a size 12 @ 50 degree tip. If you start out with 100 gallons you will be fine. This machine will give you lightning speed on all of your jobs!

As far as running out of water you will reach a point at which your demand will be more than your supply if the water source is less than 8gpm, in the case of 5gpm you would use the 200 gallons in 25 minutes and with 5gpm you would have an additional 16 minutes of recovery.

Man yea. get the 8 gpm!!!! you want regret it. I run all 7gpm and about the only time you will run into trouble is when the water is realy slow and trying to run 2 pumps, that is day you wish you would have gotten the 5gpm.:cool:

The flow at my home is 4 gpm,average around here is 5.This is the reson I haven't purchased an 8gpm machine yet.

Johny

Check all your pipes. Up until two weeks ago I was convinced that all of Fayetteville was ~5gpm and 1 in 4 houses was provinding less than my 5.5 needed. It wasn't a problem because of my tank, but was worthy of consideration because I was debating dropping from a 300 gal tank to a 125.

Anyway, at one house I was getting about 2.0gpm. To help things along, I unhooked the hose and dropped it directly into the tank so I would pull the 2nd length to faucet #2. Two things were learned.

1) Front faucet, ~3-4gpm. Back faucet, 8-10gpm

2) Hose into tank = full flow. Hose thru rell into tank = 50% flow.

The moral? If you're getting less than 7-10gpm from a house on "city water", check out the situation closer.

1) Front faucet, ~3-4gpm. Back faucet, 8-10gpm

2) Hose into tank = full flow. Hose thru rell into tank = 50% flow.

Yea your right about that #2 I use to have all my hose reels plumbed right up to the tank til I found out that by going thru the reel it was cut the flow a good bit, now I don't have any of them plumbed.