Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

Big ones

Question

I did 8 houses in this one gated oceanfront neighborhood last year. The property manager and HOA prez set it up. It was a good job. Yesterday the PM called and said there are now 18 houses to do this year, just go give a price for the addition 10. Theres some very nice homes all are stilt style homes

They want then done before Easter. Thats going to be a tough one. I dont think I'll be able to fit them all in, I'll work something out with it.

Good relationships with PM's can lead to some nice referalls. I know alot of people say PM's dont care about us, but they are my best allies

Let the good times roll

12 answers to this question

Jeff, Do you ever sleep ?????

Plenty of time to sleep when I'm dead.

Really I get my paper work, proposal, etc etc done in the wee hours. I dont like doing it all when its family time. Plus Im buried alive with proposals to do, I cant complain

Did they ship the skid yet?

Those are houses? I've seen smaller hotels!!!

Theres a few that are even bigger.

Last year I had to do the last 2 houses there by myself, my worker went on a crack binge. I had the biggest one to do it was the board presidents it was 4 1/2 stories and to top it off I broke a brick on one of his fence walls with the lift. Man Im thinking why the HOA Prez. He was cool, his mason fixed it for $35

Hey wheres Chaplin MN, my wife has family in Marshall & Minneapolis

Jeff,

Champlin is a northern suburb of Minneapolis. I hear alot of people mentioning that they "had" relatives from up here. Must be the weather that drives 'em away LOL

I've heard Minni is a very popular place to move to, live. I've heard the natives aren't too keen on all the 'newbies'. I've had friends move there, loved it.

Those big home are a pain to clean,i much more prefer 2-4 hour jobs,but i still never pass them up

What is your most expensive house wash so far?

Johny

Those big home are a pain to clean,i much more prefer 2-4 hour jobs,but i still never pass them up

What is your most expensive house wash so far?

Johny

The Pink house in the pictures we did for $775.00 it took me and one of my workers around 6 hours to do it was a PITA, but I had a lift to get to all the 8 homes, so where we could drive the lift we used it, the upper areas oceanfront were a pain. Then we did some brick walls & walks for another $300

There was one other that we did for $825. I think that was my most expensive just house wash. Wewere working usually 2 houses at a time we were done with all 8 in 4 or 5 days with some extras

Its a pretty sweet job. I like that we do several because the lift made it easier, alot less ladder work. I hate washing on ladders

If we get all 18 it will be a good money job

hey Jeff have you ever considered doing a marketing class i mean man just reading some of your stuff is like motivationale. If you do sign me up. It seems like you know all the right buttons to push. O just curious how was it when you first started with everything slow or right off the rip fast.

hey Jeff have you ever considered doing a marketing class i mean man just reading some of your stuff is like motivationale. If you do sign me up. It seems like you know all the right buttons to push. O just curious how was it when you first started with everything slow or right off the rip fast.

It all depends on how you describe slow. I am actually ahead of where I thought Id be. Its takes time. I can tell you I am very lucky, for more than a few reasons. I am in an area with great growth, Its a retirement area, it is the #8 place for people to retire in the country, its still an area where you can get a house reasonably priced, but also a lot of high end. Condominiums and houses are being built at record pace. With all the baby boomers moving here I dont see it slowing down for some timeand if it does slow I'll be established pretty well and should be OK

Its also a vacation area, with the Atlantic Ocean at your door steps. Alot of investment going on etc.

We are also in an area that everything has to be cleaned, theres no way around it, everything gets mold & mildew on it within 6-18 months. I LOVE MOLD & MILDEW

Its also an area with poor work ethic when it comes to contractors, really bad. Althou pricing is less than many areas. I figured if I wanted to be a one man operation, Id do OK, but the way to make the money here is to have employees and let them make you money. I might have a job for $7000 and in one week get it done with 3 guys, labor materials I make say $5000, now if I did it alone it would take 3 weeks, not great money.

As for getting the work, like I said Ive been very lucky. One guy a know here is responsible for about 30-40% of my work in one way or another. He has gotten my foot in the door with many companies or I got my foot in the door and he's held it open. He knows and works for 2 of my best PM companies. He does alot for me because as he says Im good & reliable, more reliable than any type of contractor he knows

I cant believe how lucky I was last year and this year is going to be so much bigger & better. But it took time. I started residential and did everything the hard way. When I say these BB's have helped me so much I mean it!!! But doing the residential first really helped me to learn the trade.

As for marketing class thats funny. Im really not a pro at it at all, I was just determined. If I didnt make this biz successful, I dont know what I would have done for a living. I really didnt want to work for somebody and just have an average life, I dont have alot of skills so I wouldnt have made much money or I would have had to go back up to Mass and work in the Steel Painters Union again, which was a great trade, but I came close to getting killed on jobs sites a couple times. Plus I have a past up there I didnt want to revisit and Im sick of cold weather

So like I said my marketing was based on determination. But I worked hard at getting the work, Call, write, fax, mail is how Ive expanded on my biz, it really works. Determined persistance is a good trait Ive developed in this biz.

So for my first marketing class remember write, fax, call, mail and ask for work always and show the customer you really appreciate them. Thank them always and show them you are more than they expected.

I have so many pluses in this area, the climate, the lack of good contractors etc etc So with a few years of hard work I am buiilding myself a very nice biz. There are tough times, with employees, on site problems, just all of a sudden work starts to dry up, it can be a PITA & scary, learn your trade and be reliable and you can grow from there.

I thank you and others for saying what I write is motivational, Im glad, I enjoy writing this stuff and showing it can be done. When I say if I can do it anyone can. You can you just have to work very hard, but the pay off can be real good. Other than the money the biggest pay off is seeing Im accoplishing something many couldnt or wont.... A nice business, I can call my own

Thanks again

JL

I might have a job for $7000 and in one week get it done with 3 guys, labor materials I make say $5000, now if I did it alone it would take 3 weeks, not great money.

Anytime you get tired of "not that great" money, you can call me I'll come do the work for ya!

Just picken at ya