Sign in to follow this  
shariray

Identity

Question

Hey Everyone,

Do some of you techies know how I can unravel the identity of an e-mailer who is inquiring about my services?

My suspician is that it might be a competitor fishing for information. Is there a way to find out who they are?

I've come straight out and asked but have yet to receive a response.

Thanks

Ray

4 answers to this question

Well, first off, get the contact info. Call them. If someone has a problem providing standard information so we can visit them to give them an estimate, we have nothing further to discuss. If they ask questions that we don't typically get from a homeowner and seem hesitant to give information, we ask a few questions of our own.

There is nothing wrong with requesting information from a caller, or from an email requester. It's just business. You need to understand their need for your service, and they need to understand that to serve them professionally you require certain information from them, and that you won't provide a quote sight unseen. (at least we don't)

Hope this helps.

Beth

p.s. if they are pushy, and insist on a phone quote sight unseen, and refuse to give you information, tell them to have a nice day and move on.

As far as finding the individual persons name it can't be doen without the cooperation from the senders ISP. As far as I know you can only tell what town they are in buy the email headers.

Hey Everyone,

Do some of you techies know how I can unravel the identity of an e-mailer who is inquiring about my services?

My suspician is that it might be a competitor fishing for information. Is there a way to find out who they are?

I've come straight out and asked but have yet to receive a response.

Thanks

Ray

Just tell them you need to see the job to give an accurate price, so all you need is the address and you'd be happy to come by and speak with them.