Sign in to follow this  
Jeff

End of an era

Question

For those of you around Myrtle Beach and those who have vacationed here for years & decades from around the south and the country, I thought you might like to know that the Myrtle Beach Pavilion will be closing for good at the end of this upcoming season.

Ive only lived here for 6 years and never knew about the Pavilion before that, but its a shame. Its an amusement park that has been around 50 years a great wooden roller coaster and about 50 other rides. Ive met people that have had 4 generations vacation here because of the Pavilion and now it will be gone. Its the 1st amusement park I brought my almost 3 year old son to and he had a GREAT time, smiling & laughing and yes being a little scared too, but he had so much fun. Its to bad, people met at the Pavilion and later got married, families would go to the beach across the street all day and go ride rides all night. They have a crazy organ that was brought here from Germany and has been playing for 48 years it was built in 1890's. alot of history in that old place, I feel real bad for the millions who came here more than once for an affordable good time with there families and now they will put up some shops, cafes and a few high rises, to bad. Oh how the area is changing they are tearing down all the small hotels & shops along the Blvd and putting up high rise condos, not to much fun for the average blue collar family anymore

Just thought some of you who may of visited the Pavilion would want to know.

I'll miss the roller coaster, I really dont like the real fancy crazy roller coasters they have nowadays, but i love the old rickety wood ones. I'll be Taking Joshua this year and will post some pics, OH WELL its called progress

JL

2 answers to this question

For those of you around Myrtle Beach and those who have vacationed here for years & decades from around the south and the country, I thought you might like to know that the Myrtle Beach Pavilion will be closing for good at the end of this upcoming season.

Did they say why they're closing? Lack of business? High costs of maintenance/operation? Some developer wants to build high rise condos?

Did they say why they're closing? Lack of business? High costs of maintenance/operation? Some developer wants to build high rise condos?

Its REAL prime real estate. Its always made money and is a landmark for the area, but the growth of the BLVD is crazy. They want to get away from the honky tonk feel of the area. Its owned by Burroughs & Chapin and they basically own over half the town or more. Theyve been land owners and everything else since the 1800's

The Blvd and entire area is buiding like crazy. They are tearing down all the mom & pop, all the small hotels and putting up high rises (Condos Towets)every where. The Blvd is totally changing

The new towers and old towers are nice , but they dont keep them up anything like Disney, Vegas or anyother areas like this. Its sort of an area stuck between honky tonk & high end, but dirty. I hope this will only help my business

But its sad to see such a family landmark go away

We'll see if its for the better in time. The town now is just condo & shops I hope this is a little different

JL