Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Manual from Sunbrite?

Question

Is it worth it?

It seems the more I read threads on this blasted site, the more questions I have. There are just soooooooo many facets to this business. Is the sunbrite wood restoration manual like the bible, or are there other references available.

I have seen numerous threads referencing other websites like:

http://www.wrcla.org/

http://www.fpl.fs.fed.us/

I guess I am looking for the holy grail of wood restoration for the newbie. Time being the prescious commodity that it is, I want to make the most of it. I will read these websites as I hear of them and have time, but I am looking for the basics right now, not the encyclopedia.

Matt

9 answers to this question

Take what you know and go with it . I know what you mean about so many threads and opinions getting confusing.There is a wealth of information here but also a lot of opinions and tecniques as well.

The problem with taking what I know and running with it is... What I know about power washing could fit on the pointy end of a needle. That's why I'm here asking questions and trying to digest info.

I realize everyone has an opinion, but if enough opinions are the same then it seems more like "fact" to me. In time, with experience, I will form my own opinions. Until then I have to rely on the experience and generosity of the folks on the BBS that freely answer all of my kindergarten questions.

Matt

I feel your pain brother!

When we started up, there was little to nothing out there (internet) on wood restoration and what was available was in the form of advice from what I now know as labels from various products.

Beth was on the internet searching while I was out working. Soon, she came upon PWNA and told me about it. We became members in August '99 and we went to the 1st convention in Oct. '99. In 2000, I took the test and certified.

Soon after, Beth started finding BBS's and looking for information on them. Much information was scattered and convoluted with various pissing matches and testosterone fanatics.

In 2002 we launched TGS. Our goal was to provide a better, more organized on-line archive of information for people just like you and me who need to find answers quick despite any other training that is available.

The current schools that are being offered by various entities are often taught by those who have been in the business long enough to know their salt. People like (alphabetically listed) Everett Abrams, Russell Cissell, Pete Marentay have backgrounds and experience that lend themselves to the art of wood restoration on many levels. They are in my professional opinion wood guru's and frankly the most public ones. If there are any others, please take no offense as I speak of those who have publicly offered training in any form.

Whether it be from PWNA, Sunbrite or WRAPI that you get training, each will give you a valuable insight into wood restoration and the proverbial wood bible you will be looking for.

http://www.thegrimescene.com/forums/faq.php

The link also has quick FAQ's on wood restoration that we provide for instant access, let me know what you think?

I hope this has helped. (blasted site...really~ :winkanim: )

Rod!~

Hey Matt,

Download that 400 page bad boy from USDA Forest Labs and have a good read. There are sections we refer to from time to time. Also go to your local Borders or whatever the big book store you have is, and get a coffee (ours has a coffee shop in it) and look at the wood working books. There are some really good titles out there. Many are construction based, but there are some that have good info on various species, and offer a good understanding of the properties of wood. Now you might think I am really weird here (I'll go out on that limb I don't care) but go to a lumber yard (no not Lowe's or HD, a real one) and get a little of each wood. Get PT lumber, cedar, redwood, teak, ipe and anything else they have and take it home to play with it. Study the grain, the texture, the weight, the color, the smell, as you read from that 400 pages of light reading from Forest Labs. Now let it age, and then at some point wash it and seal it and then leave it out to age. This is a fun lesson in the differences in wood.

Beth

Matt, I understand what your saying also. Most of wood restoration isnt that hard or complicated at least the stripping or cleaning of wood when it comes to decks. Im talking about most decks that are bare or have oil semi transparent stain on them. My 1st deck I was very worried about doing it. I bought an SH product and Xjetted it on and then cleaned it and then applied Ox, I actually was pretty amazed how easy it was. I dont do a ton of wood, because of the time & weather factors, but Ive done probably 20+ decks and all but one was a pretty darn good experience, the one that was a nightmare had a solid stain on it and was real tough to clean. i suggest just go with what you've learned and try it

Also theres at least a few wood folks with in some miles of you, maaybe if their willing , go work with them for a day or two and see for yourself that it isnt really all that hard to do

Like I said I was amazed how after appling SH how easy the old stain came off and the apply the Ox the decks looked great, I felt like a pro, try it

Good luck to you

JL

Matt

If Celeste goes ahead with the NC Roundtable in April be sure to attend. Last time Russell Cissell and Pete Marentay from the list above attended. And some guy named Rod (he and his wife run a bbs or something) stripped and sealed a miniture deck. You should read all you can and every new thing you read gives you another piece of the puzzle. But the pieces don't fit together untill you see it done or try it yourself.

Patrick