Sign in to follow this  
ProVolley9

Wood type identification

Question

Although I am not new to wood restoration, I am new to my own business and in the past an as "employee" I did not have to identify the type of wood I was to wash and stain since my boss man took care of all that jazz and he simply taught me how to properly clean/strip/stain decks and fences with the restoration materials he chose.

I know that you need to treat different woods with different care, so my question is:

What is the best way for a "newbie" to identify all different types of wood in order to buy the correct cleaning and staining materials for that particular wood?

4 answers to this question

Research, practice and a natural curiosity about wood.

The USDA forestry labs has an introspecting guide to wood and all its characteristics and the many different species.

Understand that there are many commonly used types of wood for exterior surfaces and some not so common. Go to a lumber supply store(s) and check out what is currently stocked on their shelves. Ask questions and take notes. This will give you a good idea of what you will find commonly in your area.

Rod!~

Based on your location, you'll do fine to start so long as you can differentiate between cedar and PT pine. In my experience, people who have the more exotic species like Ipe, know it and will be sure to tell you just how much their deck cost to build, and how special and rare it is.

Research is my forte and I know the difference in PT pine and cedar, so I guess I'm on the right track. Just thought I'd ask you folks that are more exp'd than myself if there's some sort of "wood identification 101" course out there to take. ha! j/k

Thanks for the replies!

I can't wait til' it gets warmer so gettin' paid to play in the water will be more fun! :-)

ProVolley9,

If you want a good reference, the book "Understanding Wood...A Craftsman's Guide to Wood Technology" by R. Bruce Hoadley has more info on wood than you will ever use. Chapter 3, "Wood Identification" is 25 pages long with id techniques and lots of photos and illustrations.