Sign in to follow this  
Howard

Need input/advise

I had one of my customers (who also does stamped concrete for driveway, sidewalks patio's ect...) ask if I could use my equipment to knock the "knife edge" ridges off after the stamp process. He says he currently does this my hand and depending on the size of the pour it takes many, many manhours. I'm concerned and voiced my concern about the probability of taking the "cream" off the top of the green concrete with my pw. If anyone has any experience with this type work I would appreciate any and all inputs.

Thanks

I was reluctant to chime in Howard as I have never been in such a situation. If I understand what you are saying though by using high pressure to smooth off the edges of freshly poured concrete. personally I would decline because the risk of damage seems so high. Others may disagree though, I just know what kind of damage can be done using a wand for that type of application.

My main concern is damage and insurance clain against my company. If your customer's main business is this type of work then he seems to have already found a way to get the job done and is hoping by trial and error on your part that this will save him time and money. I would not be a guinea pig in this case, but that is just me. Just my .02, maybe someone will chime in with a better way now. Good luck

Adrian

Thanks I talked to him about the same things. He is going to do a test pour with all the different patterns and let go to town. I'll let everyone know what the outcome is.

all he needs to do is roll the joints during his stamping process and make sure the stamps are tight when he is stamping and he should not have that much trouble. the problem with using your pressure washer is that the color hardner and release used in stamping concrete is very thin topical coloring. attempting to knock these edges down with a pressure washer will only show grey concrete through.

at my regular job I sell stamps, coloring and other accessories for stamping concrete and I think it would be easier to take care of it while stamping than try to do it after the fact.

diamond pads, diamond pads, diamond pads... a diamond pad will take the ruffest of corners and you can round them off or just smooth them out in a couple of mins at the most. very fast and the pads last for a long while.

the only problem with pads is that you will wear them out quick on the edges he is talking about and also you will cut the color out. Lou these edges he is talking about is in between where two stamps meet, and it would probably be hard for him to flatten out these edges polishing. I have used pads before and they are great on travertine, granite and marble and for polishing concrete.to take these edges out he would probably need about a 1/4-3/9 wide diamond blade and hold it vertical to take them out and depending on the color of the release that is used it would leave your bare concrete color showing. the contractor would be alot better off taking care of while stamping that trying to do something after the fact.