Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Hey, Jon Fife!

Question

7 answers to this question

Most of these were taken today. Too much snow to call this Spring! I've been trying to get sleep since I've been moving snow, but I didn't want to put this off any longer.:lgtear:

I'm joking, I can't sleep because I'm over-tired. Forgive me if I don't make a lot of sense.

post-1043-137772152899_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772152905_thumb.jpg

post-1043-13777215291_thumb.jpg

1971 Dodge Demon, 318 balanced and blue-printed locally twenty yers ago. I knew the guy that did the work, in the mid-90's he needed cash to get married and I bought her for tiny money.

I have had her garaged for all of this century, and just recently decided to revive the old beast. We'll see how this goes. I'm real excited about the idea, and so is my wife!:lgkick:

post-1043-137772152915_thumb.jpg

NICE!!!! That is the same color as my buddies, must have been a standard color. How you could leave that for ten years without driving it is beyond me.......

Got busy in transportation. I used to stay out over 300 days a year, and the time-off typically included at least two weeks straight hunting during January, sometimes three. Here is how my trucking career ended, to illustrate my point:

I took two weeks off in '02 and spent them in Rome (with a short stay in Naples) aside from that no period more than three consecutive days off my rig. I got back to Omaha at about midnight the day before I flew. Woke at about 5:30 am and then stayed awake the next twenty-six hours doing paperwork, seeing my family, and having my first date with the woman I married. (Not in that order)

Caught my flight to Detroit, couldn't sleep due to Chatty-Cathy next to me. Got on my cattle-truck like flight to Leonardo and slept the nine hours all the way there. Two weeks later, I probably had slept about three to four hours each night, I slept the nine hours to the states and laid-over and missed connection to Omaha. Arrived twelve hours later than planned and was behind the wheel bound for delivery at F.E. Warren in Cheyenne due at O800 local. Left Omaha behind 8-ball delivered on-time to irate Colonel and continued to reload in Colorado Springs. Two weeks later I met my folks in ST. Louis visiting family.

My next home time was September (this all happened in July) and went like that without another vacation until 2004. That's when the drunk driver rearranged my priorities for me, and I got to dig my stuff out of the storage units. I like living with my stuff now, although I gotta say that this sleeping stuff isn't really my bag even now.

The color is called Competition Orange some places, and Tangerine Dream others. It was stock and pretty easily the most common color for Demons that remain. I always liked it, but the graphic stripes are a little dated. One day I plan to repaint to remove the them and leave the rocker-panels black on orange. Thanks for the compliment, now all I have to do is make this business keep me nearly as busy as the rigs used to, and maybe I can afford to use my stuff now that I get to see it so much more often.:)

I learned my lesson though, you can't trade anything for family, priorities take constant attention.

Interesting story about your work as a driver. I feel ya, I lived in CO for a period when I was in college, and I did line-hauls for an air carrier, had to drive straight trucks through the middle of the night. I tell ya, driving up I-25 through Cheyenne and I-80 from Cheyenne to Rock Springs, WY is about the scariest thing I've ever done. Wyoming has the freakiest weather I've ever seen, and terrifying wind. Give me tornadoes any day over the wild weather of the Great Plains!!!!

I think you are right, do the bottom of the car in Black. Thanks for digging up the pics,

Have Chip Foose overhaul it. Or better yet, have MTV's Pimp My Ride hit it. The car will run 20's in the quarter mile though because it would end up having ten TV screens and 6 subwoofers. Cool little car. I saw one with a blown 440 shoe horned in there once. It did wheelies and shook the ground. Nothing like the sound of good American muscle.

I've been a little out of it, but am rested now, I hope my postes weren't more incoherent than usual. LOL I don't care if I never see another plow unit. Oddly, most of the snow is melted already, seems like a lot of money wasted, but since I got some of it: So be it!:)

I'd love to have Foose work on this car, Ken, but he acts like I'm a stranger when I call! LOL No pimping required, all that electronic crapmania fails to move me. As far as I'm concerned, TVs only belong in homes or minivans, to keep the crumbcrushers outta soccer-moms' hair.

Thanks for the compliments, I'm leaning toward a crate motor and a Torqueflite behind the ceramic clutch. I haven't tried the 318 in there for a while, but it was aging rapidly last drive, and the old Saginaw 4-speed was starting to hit on second pretty hard.

Jon, I used to run the Sherman and Elk Mountain grades on I-80 once each way a week. I hauled mail between Rock Springs and Bloomfield, IA as part of a Memphis-Seattle mail route. I've got plenty of hair-raising tales from those years. We ought to get together some time to tell hunting and trucking tales.:)