Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

I need another stain

Question

It's a beautiful morning in the Cape Fear.

My fence is lost to Ready Seal. The furring will not allow it. Thank God I learned this lesson on my fence.

I need another stain/seal. A market that I would like open to me is the restoration of exterior wood in a larger scale; communities, maybe local gov. So I need something that you may not see on Better House and Garden, but it covers, it isn't fussy, and on the cheaper side.

Any recommendations?

Bill

19 answers to this question

Bill, if ou're not going to buff or sand that out, being that its a fence, you need something that will sit closer to the surface and help them lay down. I would never advocate this on anything but a fence. Wood Tux Wet will do that with the fur. You'll have to back brush it into/thru the furring.

Have you ever tried an Osborn brush on a 9227c buffer from Makita? They're amazing.

Hey Reed,

Have not seen you here in a long time. Has the season started yet in Mo.?

Bill,

Call Russ Cissell of Extreme Solutions, the makers of Wood Tux Wet. I believe they carry a less expensive Wood Tux made for fences. Phone # sshould be all over The Grime Scene.

Starting up this monday with the first deck already have 4 to go. Hope this year is better than last year.

I have been on here almost everyday, but just haven't posted.

How are things in your world?

reed

My fence is lost to Ready Seal. The furring will not allow it. Thank God I learned this lesson on my fence.

Hi Bill,

I'm not sure I understand what you are saying. Can you explain what you mean by lost to Ready Seal?

thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the fast reply men.

Mike, the RS sinks through the fuzz, coloring the solid wood while leaving the fuzz whiteish.

Rich, I do have the Makita and an Osbourne. I used it on my deck and offer a super buff upgrade. A problem unbeknownst to you is the this is a shadow box PITA, can't buff it. I wouldn't if I could though. I do not think that I could get the labor back from the client. I have read about the WTW and have a fiver on back order from Sunbrite.

Reed, the Wood Defender is what I had in mind. Celeste must be busy, I thought she would be the first to post on this. So, WD will sit on top of my fuzz?

Thanks for the fast reply men.

Mike, the RS sinks through the fuzz, coloring the solid wood while leaving the fuzz whiteish.

Rich, I do have the Makita and an Osbourne. I used it on my deck and offer a super buff upgrade. A problem unbeknownst to you is the this is a shadow box PITA, can't buff it. I wouldn't if I could though. I do not think that I could get the labor back from the client. I have read about the WTW and have a fiver on back order from Sunbrite.

Reed, the Wood Defender is what I had in mind. Celeste must be busy, I thought she would be the first to post on this. So, WD will sit on top of my fuzz?

Hi bill,

Thanks for the explanation. I would've though the fuzz would retain the color. Where do you buy the Osbourne brush?

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,

I can't find that URL, and I gotta get outta here. Try a search in this wood catagory. I'll bet Reed has it handy. If you can't come up with it I'll look for your later. It's the Log Cabin Store or something like that. You need a $200 Makita to spin the thing.

Bill

I use Gray Away on Old or new fences will be dark enough to hide old cedar but still let the wood grain show thru.The darker the stain the better an old fence will look.I've seen them all and actually suprised myself after staining 10 yr old fences plus.

Reed,

Things are going great in Jersey. Spring is finally here, and work began 2 days ago. Finshed up on a stripper this morning... she sure looked better after than before, and starting on a Bleach Blond this afternoon! What man could ask for anything more?

Bookings are the best in my short time in the business. Scheduled up to the end of May. I hope you have a good season.

Beth was starting a "Deck of the Month" fun contest somewhere on the board. You should submit that muti-level monster that you posted last year on Brian's site.

Gotta go, the blond bombshell is awaiting...

Mike, weird, but the fuzz always ends up looking white with those really penetrating stains. The film forming, or surface drying, (yes, they're different) seem to make the fuzz appear darker, not lighter. Depends on what looks better.

I get my brushes locally, can you believe I just bought a dozen for one house?!

Hi bill,

Thanks for the explanation. I would've though the fuzz would retain the color. Where do you buy the Osbourne brush?

Thanks,

Mike

Anyone has tried the new deck stain from Permachink?Last one was horrible

Nope. Don't believe in film based deck stain unless they have a way for it not to peel, ever, and it wears evenly....