Sign in to follow this  
Able Hands

Assume HD80?

Question

The photos below are of a deck that I've been asked for a bid on. I'll be washing the house on Wednesday of this week, and I would like to be able to give the estimate at that time.

Homeowner has no idea what the stain is on the deck or how long it has been there. He is the second owner of the home, and has done nothing to the deck in the 3-4 years he has owned it. Does want to go back with similar stain. Any and all help would be appreciated.

My thoughts:

Semi-trans film forming?

Remove with HD80?

Brighten with Oxalic?

Apply new stain>>> Suggestions taken

How do I price it out?

Matt

post-1544-137772153835_thumb.jpg

post-1544-13777215384_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Take a spray bottle of stripper with you and do a test spot, that's the only true way to know. If it's strippable then measure up the sq footage of the floor and the footage of railing and steps. Then apply your price, every area is different, I can get $2 a sq ft to do a strip job and reseal. But that may be a little high in your area, espically if your measuring ALL the wood. From the pic I would guess between $700-$900.

Remove with HD80?

Brighten with Oxalic?

Yes. Do a test spot on the worst part of the floor and on a vertical area that is still intact. Try it at about 6 oz to the gallon on the HD-80.

Beth

Matt, you should be able to easily get between $1.75-$2.00 / sq in your area depending on the strippability. We're actually working in our area for the next couple of weeks - give a shout if you need anything :)

Celeste

I actually need a local source for HD80, or equivalant.

The stain on the decking is all but gone, shouldn't I be more worried about the hand rails and pickets? I would think if I can strip the heaviest stuff, the stain on the decking should come up relatively easy.

I want to thank Celeste for taking the time out of her schedule to meet with me today, and hook me up with chem and stain.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again... It simply amazes me how everyone here is willing to share knowledge. I have received several PM offers from folks here to call for more info, or come and work for experience. I have taken several up on the offers, and as schedules permit I hope to do more of it.

It was truly a pleasure to meet with Celeste today, and I hope it will not be our last meeting. Unfortunately, it was cut short. The busted pipe was a pain in the rear. Finally got it done and was able to see the last 50 laps of the race today.

Thanks again Celeste.

Matt