Sign in to follow this  
Tim Smith

I Can't Hold Back Any Longer.

Question

It would be nice if the PWNA has some type of certification program - I don't mean like a wood restoration class certification - A certification program for contractor in general -- example:

To be a PWNA Certified Contractor - you must take a correspondence course (covering all aspects of pressure washing) and take a exam (Open book at home), provide proof of business (3yrs or so), provide a resume for review, and be a member of the PWNA.

Add or delete to the above suggestions - just make it where a person has to work for it - do not make it easy, or it won't mean anything, but make it convienient.

Go to your customer and say, "I'm PWNA Certified Contractor" as well as a member. Heres a brochure of the requirements and information about who and what the PWNA is all about.

COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE - This separates you form your competitors.

and

Give the due creditability within the industry - that you as a contractor have general knowledge of the entire field and specialize in one or two particular areas - but more important, you have the initiative, drive, motivation, and desire to improve.

What do you think?

Just take a look at the home inspection field - If I tell a realtor, bank, or homeowner that I am ASHI Certified - boom, I get the job. It means something.

We have all winter to take the time to accomplish this correspondence course.

Something like this can help bring more credibility to the entire

industry. Get away with the theory of "Monkey with a garden hose" --- Professional Certified Technition.

It can't be a money making event - it needs to be backed by an organization like PWNA (not some individual). The PWNA shouldn't charge a bunch of money, just be satisfied with increase in membership. The more members the PWNA has and the more certified contractors the PWNA has - the faster they will grow both in numbers (revenue) and familiarity with the general public.

sorry, got on my soap box again.

38 answers to this question

It starts out as a grand idea (helping the industry, helping the consumer, helping the contractor) but somewhere along the way the organizations governing members forget the original objective(s) or develop different perspectives which then develop into a whirlwind that pulls in many different directions. This whirlwind therefore ends up with a multitude of compromises. Hence the contractor is forgotten or ends up being the way to the means, a tool, or just a small part of the large picture.

You see it too many times in organizations and companies that forget their greatest assets - PEOPLE.

Somewhere along the line greed should be mentioned, as it too plays a large part in where an organization ends up. When I say greed, it isn't only greed for money but also for power and recognition.

Paul B

You hit the nail on the head. One thing for sure, If the people (Members) are not taken care of, then an organization will eventually fold. Another thing - In any industry, there will be more organizations pop up. Sooner or later, there will be an organization that will survive - that will be the one that support its members and has the benefits to retain membership.

I witness this happen in the home inspection field years ago and also the janitorial industry.

When I consult for organizations, the first thing that I look at is membership retention. If that percentage is high, then the organization is on the right tract, its just a matter of auditing the financial information. If that percentage is low, theres problems in management or the organization structure.

Another old saying "If membership is low, don't fire the individual in charge of getting new members, fire the individual in charge of benefits".

Once again, the title "Can't hold back any longer" is NOT my title, this post was moved here under the title "Restoration Contractor Certification".

Personally, I can hold back forever, the PWNA or any other organization can do what ever they like - I'll do whatever it takes to make it in this business with or without an organization.

Tim,

I can only change a title for about the first 30 seconds of a threads existance on the board. This thread was in existance previously and then split. I can't change it. I tried. Wouldn't work. This is the title it's going to have....

Beth :(

Benefits are being addressed at this time. You might want to check with Chris Detter and Everett Abrams (Everett checks in here from time to time) and ask what the latest developments are. I know they are looking at health care.

Beth

The perfect organization for us would be for Powerwashing contractors only but that would most likely always be wishful thinking. Why?? Because Distributers/Manufactors have on most accounts more Money then the average contractor and MONEY=POWER.

This is why I don't have a problem with the PWNA. Yes you could argue that DELCO is a major influence with the PWNA because Robert Hindeliter is one of the co-founders of this organization which doesn't make it a bad thing because of Roberts Excellent reputation in this industry.

Also with the new Leaderships thats in place there(PWNA) most of them have NO connection what so ever with DELCO.

Alot of these Idea's brought up by Tim Smith and others here would be better if they came up at PWNA's site so other members and PWNA board members can read it and add some input. This is how great idea's can come about.

I will add this and alot may disagree here but if you would like to see better things happen with the PWNA you should BECOME a MEMBER and help make it change for the better. As in all Organizations, If you want to make them listen to you it always helps if you are a member first and Honestly for me at least the $175 or so that it cost to become a member is no big deal. It shouldn't be for anyone in this field and if it wasn't then look at the Power the PWNA would have then. Health Benefits along with other idea's would be able to be implemented.

Last year around this time, I stated that next year we would be discussing the same issues regarding the merits of PWNA. Nothing has changed. We still discuss the pros and cons-the only thing that changes are the faces.

If it works for you great-then its worth it. If you attend a show and pick up a few idea that's even better.

Hood cleaners are unique in that they have issues of public safety, local codes and so on-Certification is starting to be a issue. If you are a hood cleaner you had best get one so that you will be able to react & self promote your knowledge to your customer.

David;)

Successful organizations are not changed from the bottom up but rather from the top down.

For the organization - member relationship, a similar analogy could be drawn with a contractor - customer relationship where a contractor has to ask his customer to help determine which chemical works better to clean the house or what equipment would be best suited to accomplish the work.

The customer may help generate ideas but it's the contractor that needs to be in the lead position.

If the foundation is flawed: the Dutchboy will not have enough fingers to plug all the holes, but even if he did, the problem will persist until someone figures out what is causing the holes to appear.

Thanks Beth, I appreciate it. The purpose of my thread is to let everyone know that its a different title. It sounds so harsh for the topic. Like, I said, I really do not have much interest in joining any organization or the PWNA at this time. In the future, I hope to find an organization, that I can contribute to its development and growth - at this time, really havn't found one nor have I been looking real hard.

Tim,

Organizations aren't for everyone. This has been made clear from numerous posts over the years especially concerning the PWNA.

I still feel that the PWNA is a good starting point for an Organization that represents us. The people that are involve in it now will hopefully pave the way for guys like yourself to become members one day. Its rewarding if us members now can do it for future members. There's not much else I can add.

Good luck if you ever do find "THAT" organization and if you do as always clue us in.

I truly believe that the comments made in this post as in many others are valid and should be dealt with at some level. Before commenting though I must say that some opinions are formed by the perceptions and not always true facts. With that being said though "Perception is Fact" and that is an issue to deal with.

One in particular is about the PWNA being about manufacturers, I believe the Associate Membership is 8%. Personally, I think this is too low. I believe we need more associate members to provide added value discounts to the membership as well as making for a great yearly convention.

In regards to Health Benefits, we are currently working on a program to at the minimum offer benefits to all the states for the membership. The issue has been getting an insurance company to write a NEW policy that is for a non-profit organization. New legislation hsa been and continues to push through to allow for Association Benefits. We have been turned down by the larger companies at this time. The Better Business Bureau has been used to assist us in trying to get something done. I do believe we are close to something though.

The problem that I see is that there is only so many folks that get active enough to make a difference. Forget the PWNA for a moment, When folks ask about Roundtable Meetings why isn't there a ground swell of volunteers to host or attend a basically FREE meeting to learn, share, and calibrate professionalism amongst contractors? Plumbers and electricians(and other trades) get together often and grow as a group. Can this not be done in our industry?

Maybe it is with the PWNA, maybe it will be something else? In any event I don't believe we will move forward without a "Code of Standards" that we all buy into and get behind. We should be more united than we are, bottom line.

I personally made a decision to become more involved with the PWNA to try and accomplish this result. If I/We fail it will at least be with me saying I tried to make a difference. I wish everyone at least shared the passions that the David S., John T., Tim S,

Paul B's, and others have for this industry and their profession, PWNA Member or not. Maybe I am all wet, maybe not. At the end of the day I just want to look in that mirror and like the guy looking back! Thanks for all the comments they are appreciated and they do get discussed and noticed.

John T

Paved the road - its a lot of work and you should be commended for your efforts. Your comment about organizations are not for everyone - I agree. I am a member of three home inspector, two janitorial, and two professional organizations. As well as three local chamber of commerces and the Missouri Board of Realtors Association. I pay about $2500.00 a year in dues to the above. I know what an organization can and can not do for you and that organizations are not for everyone. I've been in growing organizations and know the bitter/sweet feeling when others join the organization to reep the benefits of your hard work. So once again, thanks for helping pave the road, our industry needs it.

Everett

Your comments really makes a person think. I appreciate your reply.

Tim,

Thanks for the complements even though I am not deserving of them. Guys and Gals like Everett Abrams, Beth, Doc Reisman, Mike Hughes and other involved members are.

I am a paying PWNA member who Unfortunely doesn't have the time to commit to help this organization along. I feel the least I can do is be a paying member so in that way I am supporting them so maybe oneday they can get those Insurance Benefits etc. that they are stryving for that can help some powerwashers.

As for myself I don't need medical benefits because I have them for life and my family has it also(My kids untill there 21). You may ask how do I have this?? Easy. I belong to a union that has Money and power and through that we were able to negotiate this into our contracts. So you see its reasons like this that I support Unions and ORGANIZATIONS because the strength will always be in numbers which equals $$$$=POWER. Plain and simple.

Hopefully in the future I will have some time to devote to the PWNA as an active member but untill then I will continously support them because I know first hand the potential that they have.