Sign in to follow this  
StainlessDeal

Some Pics...

Question

Here are some shots from the final throes of winter here in Omaha. I was moving snow until I thought I'd croak from it.

These pics are of the last day, the only daylight work I remembered to bring a camera for.

post-1043-137772153947_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772153953_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772153958_thumb.jpg

2 answers to this question

This is a new water treatment plant going up.

The construction is over sixty feet below the existing grade, and the snowfall two days prior to this shot was more than ten inches on level ground. Factor in high winds and all the things to drift, and some areas in the pit had seven and eight feet of snow standing.

It was all removed with loaders, and graders, and then loaded into dumps and carted a mile away (still onsite) and dumped in a catch-basin where dozers and loaders piled it well over twenty feet high.

By the time these pics were taken daytime highs were back into the fifties, and things got extremely hazardous for men and equipment.

I wish I had more, and better photos to show what it was like later, but my camera batteries met an untimely end. Only a few of the pics I did get turned out because of lighting trouble.

I wash several of these rigs, soon more, and do some other work for some of the other people working on this site, they needed operators to handle the mess, so there I was selling on the CB and moving snow!

Good business is where you find it!

post-1043-137772153964_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772153969_thumb.jpg

post-1043-137772153974_thumb.jpg

Scott,

That is one big job site. Especially for a water treatment plant. 60' deep in the ground, huge dump trucks, cranes lifting concrete, looks like a dangerous place.

Think I'll stick to wood. About the only hazardous things we run into are bees and splinters!