Sign in to follow this  
newlook

Gutter Clean Outs ~ How do you know?

Question

Quiz ~

How do you know when you are doing gutter clean-outs with a shephards hook extension wand combo from the ground that the inside of the gutters are actually clean? (No climbing ladders to see either) LOL

It would be interesting to hear some answers on this.

6 answers to this question

Quiz ~

How do you know when you are doing gutter clean-outs with a shephards hook extension wand combo from the ground that the inside of the gutters are actually clean? (No climbing ladders to see either) LOL

It would be interesting to hear some answers on this.

You can run water in the gutter at the farthest point from the down spout and verify a good flow coming out of the down spout. You can also attach a mirror to an extension pole to take a look at the inside of the gutter from above if there is no gutter guards.

I don't use them, but in the past when I did they seem to make more of a mess than anything. So with that said, when you stop seeing wet nasty dirt, leaves, lizards, snails, and puppy dog tails from flying out of the gutter as you're cleaning it, you can safely say it must be clean.

I would argue that you can't properly make that determination. I personally walk or ladder 'em and use an xjet or a 15080 tip. And even looking, there are corners that must be hand picked, jam ups, etc. that you wouldn't be able to determine without a visual.

Our experience in the past was to walk the perimeter of the roof line and do a visual as Phil mentioned.

Safety is so important when attempting/doing this. By doing this does ensure that all debri is removed. This is not as difficult when working a single story unit.

On 2nd story units we S.H. the gutter system until we are getting clean water rolling out over the gutters. This gives a very good indication that the gutters are clean and the water is finding it's way to the downspouts.

John - mirror sounds like a good idea. I may explore that.