Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

Oxalic Acid

So I have learned today a few things. One, restore can not strip cedar shingles like I would like them to. Second, I will also need to neutralize or brighten the wood afterwards. Oxalic acid seems to be the choice. However, I see it going for $40 for 10 pounds on some sites. but then I have found it on chemistrystore.com for 40 pounds for $65. Is this the same stuff as far that everyone is using? Thanks.

Same stuff, you can get it from JBS industries 55lbs for $42.00

JBS Southeast SC 1-800-925-8958 ask for Andy. They dont keep it in stock but Andy gets it for me within a few days

JBS Northeast OH 1-888-745-0720 ?

Or check out their site www.jbsindustries.com

Jeff, Thanks for the help. I have located a few chem. dealers in my hometown I will try tomorrow to see if it is somthing they can get or have. If not, I will try JBS.

What ration do you mix it at. 1 pound per gallon or so. also, can you mix it in advance and let it sit in a drum or should it be mixed as needed. Thanks, Mike

I mix it in warm water 4lbs to a 5 gallon drum, yes it can be mixed ahead of time, it last for quite a long time, months, just shake it up

That mix is for Xjetting you can use 2-4 lbs per 5 to spray with pump up or brush on

Hey Mas, is Coventry RI near Providence, I used to do a lot of the bridges/overpasses there paint & sandblast them. Providence is a good little city had some fun there.

JL

Jeff,

Thanks for the. I will try to locate some oxalic acid today. Other than brightening cement and wood, does if have any other good uses.

Coventry is about 10 miles south of Prov. It is a great city. I know it like the back of my hand. I have had my share of fun in the city as well.

I noticed you are in myrtle beach, I was planning my golf trip for May this year, but with a new born I am thinking November. Can you tell me what the weather is like then.

Thanks, Mike

Jeff,

Thanks for the. I will try to locate some oxalic acid today. Other than brightening cement and wood, does if have any other good uses.

Coventry is about 10 miles south of Prov. It is a great city. I know it like the back of my hand. I have had my share of fun in the city as well.

I noticed you are in myrtle beach, I was planning my golf trip for May this year, but with a new born I am thinking November. Can you tell me what the weather is like then.

Thanks, Mike

Come on down!!

Nov is 50/50 but usually in th 50's to 60's a lot of golfers, try Oct better chance of great weather Give me a call

See Ya

JL

Jeff,

Thanks a lot for the help. If the wife allows then I will be down. I would prefer Oct. but I will need to see if I still busy washing then. The wife and I agreed that if I manage to make enough money pw this summer to pay off the equipment (12k) then I can go down. I think I should be able to do it since I have $1000 worth of work planned this week alone for a day and a half. Thanks again, Mike

So I have read that oxalic is great to brighten concrete and wood. Does it have any other uses. Vinyl, asphalt, pvc fencing, etc. Thanks

Ox will clean irrigation rust and some other rust stains off almost any surface. We have tons of irrigation rust around here it can get on all surfaces of houses & buildings and Ox takes care of it

Check out some of the pics

thanks again Jeff, are there surfaces that oxalic is unsafe on?

Good question!

I keep it off glass and if it does get on it I rinse it quick. Probably not good to put on any kind of fabric? If your brushing it on dont lay the brush on grass like I did once, burnt the grass. I'll lay it on mulch instead

Ive never had a problem with Ox & overspray either its a pretty useful chem

JL

Hi Everyone,

It seems that my supplier for oxylic acid and various strippers is playing games with the store I purchase it from and I have no product!

Can anyone give me some good websites that sell these products?

Thanks!

Here's another use for oxalic...mulch! When irrigation rust is a problem, many times it will darken the mulch. A light spray of oxalic will brighten the mulch and make it look new. The homeowner will be amazed.

Here's another use for oxalic...mulch! When irrigation rust is a problem, many times it will darken the mulch. A light spray of oxalic will brighten the mulch and make it look new. The homeowner will be amazed.

Hey John, you weren't kidding!! I tried this in a little spot under a tree and it worked great. The little spot of mulch looks brand new...thanks for the info :)

So 4 pounds per bucketand then x-jet means you are spraying about 1/2 pound per gallon. So I if I downstream it at 12%, I should mix it as much as I can per gallon, Probably only about 1 pound or so will disolve I would think. Does anyone downstream oxalic and if so, what conc. do you mix it at. Thanks.