Sign in to follow this  
mas3372

what size water tank

I set up my unit, 5.6 gpm with a 300 gallon tank. I know most houses only put out about 4 gpm so I know I needed a back up tank. However, I have yet to go down more than 30 gallons. I plan on doing jobs where there is a water supply so I am know second guessing myself for such a large tank. I think I could have been fine with a 50 gallon or more likely a 100 gallon. Meaning I could be lugging around 1600 less pounds and have more room on my trailer.

What size does everyone use if you don't mind. I am really considering to downsize to a 100 gallon but feel I should get some advise before being impulsive.

Thanks, Mike

I carry two on my large trailer... One s a 60 gallon float tank and the other is a 325 gallon supply tank... they are plumbed to a three way valve, so I turn the valve to draw from whatever tank I am using.

My bypass line from the unloader back to the tanks is plumbed with 3/8 inch quick connects on the tanks and line, so I just switch the bypass line to whatever tank I am using.

It works great, and I only carry the extra tank of eater when I need to. I also have a 160 gallon tank I use for recovery, I could haul water in that also if needed and still be uner my trailer gvw.

I have 2-230 gallon tanks and I almost always have them full. I mainly do commercial so it is a must around here, but when I was heavy into residential I always showed up and left with a full tank, unless it was a small job.

Also, it might be an issue in RI, but around here most houses supply anywhere between 5 and 8 gpm, but most are between 6 and 7 gpm. But you never know when you'll come across the house with some serious water flow/pressure problems.

Thanks for the input. Most houses put out about 6 -7 gpm but then add 100 feet of hose, filter, and water softner that all gets reduced. Between friction loss of the house and elevation differences, this could vary from street to street. I am considering dropping down to a smaller tank to also give me more room. But who knows. I think I will give it a few months to see what obstacles I encounter before deciding to restructure my set up.