Sign in to follow this  
bforbis

Fence Pricing-Benchmarking

Question

Hey ya'll,

Just wanted to benchmark some pricing on a fence estimate I did recently. Family wanted deck and fence priced separately to pick and or choose wi=hich project or for budget reasons.

Fence is approx 5 years old in good condition, but has never been treated with anything (PT lumber). 345 lf at 5' height= 1725 sf X two sides= 3450 sf.

I'm figurin a light strip to remove old wood fiber etc, neutralize and WTW appplied at about 150 sf/gal +-. Little to no sanding required/expected. Priced about $1.00 to $1.25/sf.....?????

The deck is a totally different story. Lots of heavy lattace work,on the superstructure, railing and step rails... they want top, underside, multi tier step/deck approach about 12' off ground level. Home owner stained it themselves about 4 years prior woth SW oil based whatever. Total areas equal about 1600 sf (600 sf alone is lattace!!!). [ATTACH]4100[/ATTACH]

I have done a number of these and know what it takes to get it done right. Just wanted to check in to be sure i am not overboard.

Appreciate any feedback

post-1486-137772154904_thumb.jpg

9 answers to this question

Brent,

Clean and seal the fence i would say $1500-$2000 would be fair cause that's a lot of wood.

The deck $600 to clean and $1000 to seal it...Thank you come again.:cool:

I'm not sure how much you gonna pay for the WTW and how much margin you work on labor etc??

If the fence is never stained why strip it?

I would guess about $1700 for fence. It's easy work. You spray very quickly.

The deck I would bid at least $2500 if they wanted the bottom side done. If you have never done that, you are in for a treat.

Shane, you charge more to stain than you do to strip? I would think with having to use caustics, an expensive cumbersome machine and hoses, and then having to pH balance stripping would be more. I bid it the other way around.. just curious.

Shane, you charge more to stain than you do to strip? I would think with having to use caustics, an expensive cumbersome machine and hoses, and then having to pH balance stripping would be more. I bid it the other way around.. just curious.

The chemicals are cheap and I look at it hourly to clean and shouldn't be that bad but it's hard not seeing a test spot.

This job for instance the cleaning wouldn't be all that bad except if they wanted the underside of the deck done YUK!

The hardest thing on this job to stain would be the frigging lattice so damm time consuming to protect the house.

Shane,

The strip is a light one only to help remove old fibers and general prep to good material. Then neutralize. That was my thinking anyway.

Thanks for the replies

Brent

I have cleaned lattace several times before, but it was the thin cheap stuff and it is a MPITA. The underside of decks usually results in a few hot spots down the collar!!!

Thanks Ken,

I tried suggesting that replacing would be less expensive than trying to remove stain in all those nooks and crannies to the customer, but they did not want that even after I explained the price difference it would make, why etc etc....

I am not sure why someone would be so hung up on keeping some lattace vs replacing with new that would cost them less in the long run, takes less time to complete the work and overall job would look much better.

We feel the customer out to see if the prep will be more or the staining. Often customers only want the wood cleaned and ready for them to stain - that's when we rebalance our charge to make our staining less costly. If we know they're going to hire us for 100%, pricing stays normal which is roughly the same for staining as prepping.

Brent, I would love for you to set a 1.25/sq ft benchmark for fence staining around here! Folks in our area won't pay it....nearly keel over dead if you try to get .75/sq to clean and seal!

Last year I had several large fences i got more than that for and they were very happy with results. Although, Most of what I get an opportunity for are not so willing to maintain their fence or deck. Hence, I wanted to verify pricing norms.

Fencing is a bit easier than decks.

Thanks Celeste/ Roger for your help.