Sign in to follow this  
eads

Other Half

Question

This year will be my first full season of pressure washing, and I'm not fulltime as of yet. I have done countless hours of research, and asked many questions before the start of the season trying to develope a strong marketing plan. Well, my strategies are paying of really well and I have been strongly contiplating(?) leaving my full time job and diving in full time pressure washing. I love the freedom of being my own boss and doing something I love to do and making good money doing it. I have already tooken 3 days off permintly and use these days exclusively for pressure washing. Some days I can make as much as 2 or 3 times what I make working my full time job. Writing this it sounds like a no brainer as to what I should do, but I have a wife and she is very very scared and insecure about what I am doing and what I plan to do, which ultimately is to be a full time pressure washer. If any of you full time guys had this problem how did you handle it? Any advice

30 answers to this question

Ken is right you have to have things lined up, you have to have a plan. Like Ken Says the 1st 2 years may be slim and I also agree with him the 3rd year is when things take off

You will need some money to back you up. But some of your best drive will come from the fact of if you dont work your ass off your going to fail and I mean work your ass off getting the work, very rarely is it just handed to you.

It can be done but you have to fill up a lot of time on that calender to support yourself

Man its a tough call but it can be done, now or later

Best of luck

Michael wrote:

Its $720 a week after taxes

You will definitely need your wife's cooperation and support to give up a net of nearly 40Gs. Regardless of what they tell you, few first year full-timers are taking home that much, a few more 2nd year's.Talk to some suppliers and listen to them whine about not getting paid for materials. In order to net that much to pay taxes and the rest of the business rigmarole, your business is going to have to generate about double your net. Sit tight, hate your job and clean-up on weekends as you build a nest egg and a strong customer base.

Eads, What is your marketing plan, i have been reading on here for about9-10 months now and finally opened my doors and only have one job to do and its the only one so far this year. If i had a good marketing sense i would be on my own by now. Once you firgure things out and how to do them the only person that slows you down looks back at you in the mirror everyday, as soon as you can defeat that guy you are good to go. It sounds as though you have but your wife is still a little worried. Work on her and go to work.

Michael, are all your ducks lined up? Do you have a sound business plan (meaning, is it written?..if it is not written down it is a fantasy list of hopes and dreams, not a real business plan)

-Do you have liquifiable assets that can compensate for lost income?

-Do you have money to sustain advertising and pay the bills while you are slow or when the inevitable 42 day in a row rainy streak hits?

-Do you have all proper insurance and licensing in place as well as disability insurance that will cover you in the event you get injured?

Can all your bills still get paid if you make half salary?

All the above questions yes. Although, I dont think I'll ever go through a 42 day rainy streak without getting some work done.

Eads, What is your marketing plan, i have been reading on here for about9-10 months now and finally opened my doors and only have one job to do and its the only one so far this year. If i had a good marketing sense i would be on my own by now. Once you firgure things out and how to do them the only person that slows you down looks back at you in the mirror everyday, as soon as you can defeat that guy you are good to go. It sounds as though you have but your wife is still a little worried. Work on her and go to work.

As of right now I'm only doing three things. Mailers, Newsletters, Trade Magazine, and Distributing flyers when I can. I will be getting my yard signs and truck magnets next week. This should boost my leads a little more.