Sign in to follow this  
techy429

pulsating pump

I have an OLD 3000 psi SPRAK. Two days ago it dropped from the ramps on the truck. Luckily it landed on the frame, not the motor. The engine still runs like a champ but here is the issue. The discharge stem that goes to the bypass broke off. I was able to replace it without much trouble. The pump however was pulsating when I tried to use it. I let off the trigger and when I squeezed it again I had no pressure. I took the thing apart (I say thing because I don't know what else to call it) that the pressure hose attaches to (part of the bypass that sticks down...looks like a spring) When I put it back together, I got pulsating pressure again, but only for a moment. When I release the trigger, it builds up pressure fine, but the pressure only holds for a split second when I pull the trigger again.

Is my pump shot or is there a chance that the piece in the back (also seems to have a ball valve in it) is worn out?

~Drew

Might have cracked some part of the inlet when it dropped. Check where the garden hose hooks up, the strainer, hose barb for bypass. Post a couple of pics from different angles.

I have had this happen about 3-4 times in 3 years (on two different pumps). Symptoms are exactly as described. Full pressure with a closed gun, reduced flow and little pressure (and pulsing) after you open the gun. Until I fixed it the first time, I was with Russ and looking hard for air leaks in the intake. None found. Then I charged the system with hose pressure looking for water leaking at the intake. None found. But the problem cleared. My best guess is that it was trash in the check valve. Each time, the filter had caught alot of crud debris.

Now when it happens I don't even think about it. I just unhook from the tank and flush the pump with 60psi hose water (3-5 min, open hose), followed by running the pump (again open gun) with hose pressure for a few minutes. Good as new.