Sign in to follow this  
seymore

Hey guess what I have to strip off this deck?

Question

Here is a SILLYcone product that was applied a few years after the deck was first built.Then everybody's fav. Behr stain was applied 2 years ago and so far the test spot looks good.I tested a board close to the house that had a good bit of stain.

How do you like that easy application water hose process?

post-658-137772155045_thumb.jpg

13 answers to this question

Shane after stripping do a water test. I stripped a couple of decks with silcone products and water still beaded on the wood. I let the wood weather another 6 month. Still has some problem areas?

Diamond,

Just bleachwashed a few decks on a house, five yrs old, Wolmanized wood. Even after washing, it would still bead water. But the TWP penetrated fast and fine. What problems do you see?

Rick, i know you would love to work on this project!

Hey Shane,

Did not know Jack Welch use to make wood stain. Think GE ought to stick to foreign nuclear generating plants. That Behr solid is a real nice color and like how it looks almost like paint. Still cannot understand why anyone would want wood not to look like wood.

To be honest, the Behr stain actually looks like it held up very well for 2 yrs. of Texas sunshine. Your stripper certainly did a good job and your Gray Away will sure resurrect that PT from the bowels of solid stain hell.

Shane,

Great suggestion for checking. Sililcone leaves a residue that can be difficult to totally remove. I would expect it to take multiple applications of stripper and Be sure to rinse, rinse and rinse

HD who??

This deck was stripped with my own stripper i make myself and melted this Behr/Sillycone stuff right off this deck! :cool:

post-658-137772157136_thumb.jpg

post-658-137772157145_thumb.jpg

Dan,

Please do not ask. This is the infamous Shane and Texas. I am sure whatever those Texans do is illegal in Mass. Try a PM, the enviro. police are not that smart. You have Ted Kennedy, they have Tom Delay.

Shane,

do you have a red filter on your camera or something?? Everything you do looks red to me---your stain colors, and even your stripped and brightened wood!

Shane,

do you have a red filter on your camera or something?? Everything you do looks red to me---your stain colors, and even your stripped and brightened wood!

No red filter on my cam Jon..I've said i only use a 1 MP cam so it's not the best digi cam there is.The Oxalic brightened wood always has a redish/orangish look also to me even in person.

You sure you not wearing some rose colored glsses?? :D

This is the infamous Shane and Texas. I am sure whatever those Texans do is illegal in Mass. Try a PM, the enviro. police are not that smart. You have Ted Kennedy, they have Tom Delay.

Rick,you forgetting bout the Chicken Ranch "Best Little Ho House in Texas? :D

Dan, the stripper nothing special but it works pretty damm good!

looking :cool: shane-O.......

I did a silly-cone behr deck last year, afterwards the water test looked good with no beading, but horizontals look like crap already, but the verticals are still perfect. If it ever stops raining here Im gonna re-strip and do it again.....probably strip it twice for the hell of it...its small (kind of) and nobody is really thrilled with the color anyway. going to go with a darker brown or red as it gets 100% sun......