Sign in to follow this  
Barry M

sealed patio pics

Question

I finished up a patio today for a customer. I used H&C concrete sealer in Red Terrazzo Tile. He liked it so much we are doing the front drive which is three times the size.

post-826-137772155084_thumb.jpg

post-826-137772155091_thumb.jpg

19 answers to this question

That looks real good Barry!!! personaly I wouldn't want my patio that color, but "to each his own"......

Have you done many of these? If not, or if you recall, were you a bit nervous putting a color on someones cement? gimme a heads up on the process, please.....is it a pretty straight forward process?

again, that looks sweet, nice work

That looks real good Barry!!! personaly I wouldn't want my patio that color, but "to each his own"......

Have you done many of these? If not, or if you recall, were you a bit nervous putting a color on someones cement? gimme a heads up on the process, please.....is it a pretty straight forward process?

again, that looks sweet, nice work

Acid etch concrete (muratic solution) surface clean ..let dry.... Roll on ..

at least thats our procedure.. good job barry :) color sealing concrete is one of main jobs....good money in it :) barry if u thought that was fun....u should look into acid color etching :) good stuff

I cleaned concrete like normal, then etched with muratic acid, which is basically mixing 20 parts water to 1 part muratic and spraying on and letting it sit for 4-5 minutes and rinse. To my understanding what it's doing is removing a microscopic layer of concrete so the sealer will adhere better. After that I rolled the sealer on with an 18" roller, two coats 12 hours apart. The hard part is dealing with the rain, it can't rain for 10-12 hours after application. The sealer itself has a bad odor and is a PITA to clean up, it's a Xylene based product and can only be cleaned up with Xylene. Lap marks are kind of a pain too, this stuff is real sticky. To help I added a few cups of Xylene to a 5er to thin it out a little, Sherwin Williams suggested it might help and it seemed to. I also applied the second coat it the opposite direction as the first which helped also. Coverage on the first coat was 200 sq ft/ gallon and the second coat was 250 sq ft. The cost for me was $24 dollars a gallon, total cost for this 1000 sq ft patio was $200, and it took me 8 hours from start to finish over a week long period. Hope that helps explain the process, feel free to ask more questions.

I finished up a patio today for a customer. I used H&C concrete sealer in Red Terrazzo Tile. He liked it so much we are doing the front drive which is three times the size.

Very nice!!! Looks like you're up and running and doing great!!!

Barry,

Sounds like a great add on or complimentary business to PW. How many folks on this board do concrete sealing?

I have it in my list of services on my mailers and cards, but I've never had anyone request it yet. I have had a call to remove sealer from a driveway in a homeowner's association where the homeowner sealed it with a dark greay sealer themselves and then was told that they were in violation of the covenants and had to remove it. I passed, mainly due to timing issues.

Barry,

Sounds like a great add on or complimentary business to PW. How many folks on this board do concrete sealing?

Thats All we do....I personally dont like pressure cleaning to much....and hand most of my pressure cleaning jobs off to other companies.....We specialize in Paver sealing, restoration and concrete staining.

And Barry..... just for future... u may wanna try water base color sealer as well....its actually just as thick in texture as the solvent....and Soooo much easier to work with...for anything without automobile traffic it may be the best bet..holds up vry well..we do all water base on patios.... Save you from smelling like xylene #1 and it cleans up alot better also.. :) IMO

Becuase i live in Florida i dont knwo what everyone else has around them.... I use a company call acrylux out of pompano beach,.....however porter paint has good water base color seal.... i think they have those up north..now this is ONLY for color stain....water base SEALER for concrete and pavers is Worthless! lol IMO only time i ever use waterbase sealer is on Marble or travertine decks..

great info guys.... thanks

who makes the best water based product, in your experience, and/or opinion?

Multicoat makes a great water based product good for auto & pedestrian traffic. material cost is around $45/gallon. first coat is thinned with water second coat full strength, plus it is around 50% solids. 5 gallons covers 750 s.f. for two coats.

The problem up North here is the winter, the freezing and thawing. This SW product I used will last 2 maybe 3 years before needing some maintenance. In warm weather climates they said it will last 5-6 years.

I love the smell of Xylene in the morning lol

Barry that looks really great, keep on keeping on, Congrats for a job well done

Give it a couple years and you'll be the King of your area

JL

We put the same product (slightly different color) on a drive 2 years ago...it has only faded a little but otherwise is holding up beautifully!

Looks great Barry - glad it worked for you!

Celeste

We put the same product (slightly different color) on a drive 2 years ago...it has only faded a little but otherwise is holding up beautifully!

Looks great Barry - glad it worked for you!

Celeste

I printed the pic of the drive you guys did Celeste and that's what sold my customer on it, he really liked the look of it. So thank you . Since he liked the patio that I did for him, he had me do the driveway, and I finished up today.

post-826-13777215573_thumb.jpg