Sign in to follow this  
HotShot

Gradient Stucco?

Question

Hey guys and gals, I'm new to the pressure washing biz, well, sorta. I have had a Hood cleaning company for about 2 years now and it's still going strong, but I've decided to branch off a little into more pressure washing...anyways, my question is "here where I live, just about every house is stucco'd, and there are brand new houses with a brown strip around them at the bottom. I would like to offer a service of cleaning that for people, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Will it come off? What is it? What do I need to do?

Hopefully you can see what I'm talking about in these pictures..

Thanks in advance....

Anthony

post-1756-137772155526_thumb.jpg

post-1756-137772155532_thumb.jpg

post-1756-137772155537_thumb.jpg

10 answers to this question

it's pretty common out here in the desert, and it's really ugly. If there is no sidewalk around the house, this happens. I'm not really sure what it is. Thanks squirtgun, I'll research those chems..

OK....I was told today that it is "iron" from the mud. Does that sound sensible? Would the hot water from the pressure washer take it off alone?

If its Iron Oxalic may very well work

I think the stain is from when the rain hits the clay type of mud/dirt near the house and splashes back at the house. I've been doing a couple stucco homes lately with the same problem. I've tried oxylic acid, with a strong mix with no luck. The only chemical I found to work is a product I buy locally called con-strip. It is a hydrochloric acid mix. It is available through ACR products out of wind gap, pa. His phone number is 610-392-1899. Ask for Tom, and tell him Matt for MDS Power Washing sent you. That is the only product I have used sucessfully, and I have tried other products. I mixed the con-strip(hydrochloric acid) 50/50 with water, and used a pump up sprayer. Let the acid stay on about 1-2 minutes, then rinse off using <800psi. The customers house I did today was overwhelmed with the results. Just make sure you have eye/skin/resparator protection with this product.

Thanks for the post Matt. I had planned on going to the nearest chemical company (which is 70 miles away) tomorrow and buying some oxalic. I may still because it seems everybody on here has about a million different uses for it. I will give Tom a call....thanks a lot.

Matt...I haven't had a chance to call Tom yet, but I was re-reading your post and saw that the con-strip is hydrochloric acid based. Would muriatic acid work? Isn't is hydrochloric acid? Just wondering because muriatic is readily available just about anywhere.

UPDATE

Well, I got to try the acid on the "iron" ring and it worked like a charm :) I ended up using muriatic acid on it and it came right off. Thanks guys for all your help.