Sign in to follow this  
Tim UK

Is HD80 this stuff?

I have never seen powdered hydochloric acid. This is definitely not HD-80. That is some wicked stuff in that bag. Most guys on this board do not use it preferring weaker acids for masonry cleaning. Be careful with that.

HD-80 is a caustic stripper (higher pH balance) consisting of sodium hydroxide and some other detergents. It is more in line with lye or oven cleaner. Caustic stripping is followed by an acid as a pH balancing/neutralizing/brightening agent. Acids used for wood care are generally oxalic or citric. The same company that makes HD-80 sells a blend of these two acids marketed under the brand name Citrallic.

There needs to be water present so 100% is not possible. I did not open the picture. Upon initial glance it appeared a powder. Seventeen percent is the low end of a concentrate though it is still capapble of causing intense tissue damage, irriversible upper respiratory damage and almost instanteous blindness.

Read up on proper PPE, application technique and further safety precautions. No one in my crew handles strong acids but me.

Hi Ken,

Thank you for the reply. I have been offered hydrochloric acid at 28% and 14%, and I have found it at higher grades elsewhere on the internet (in the uk).

Will excercise the appropriate caution. I was trying to find out if the 'HD80' I have read about on TGS was the same as that available hre in UK.

Again, muchly thank yous for the warnings.

Tim