Sign in to follow this  
PRESSURE PACKED

Got Carpal Tunnel?

Question

35 answers to this question

Adding quick connects to all those hoses on the K7 unloader is a great idea especially if you have employees. If your unloader does give you problems for some reason you can simply pop it loose and stick another in its place until you get the first one running smooth again.

I do the same thing

I just bought a hydrotek a month ago. Has K7 3500psi, 21 hp vanguard, and general pump. Excellent machine. It has two bypasses on it to keep it cool. one that goes from the pump to the unloader and one goes from the unloader to my bulk tank on the trailer.

Yes you can hook k7 to bulk tank, but the onlly problem is if you are dong fleets and using high pressure soap a lot than soapy water will circulate back into your supply tank. If you do that, just stop it up for the meantime, just don't leave your machine running in by-pass for a long time.

Doug Baker

"Baker's pressure Washing"

Central Kentucky

270-268-1694

It won't do it if you are down streaming. if you are upstreaming you risk pump damage in the future.

something else to consider guys is using high pressure swivels. it makes for easier pulling on hose becuse they don't twist up, works even better with k7 unloader. I will also rap hose around my back and hold with left hand and twist hose to aid in swinging wand back and forth. I have swivel attached to my whip hose.

I used to work out about 5 days a week and used to have forearm trouble due to gripping to tight. I spoke with a trainer that I knew and she advised not to wrap thumber around bar. that would keep me from squeezing to tight. I often do this with my gun. I grip it with my thumb on top of my forefinger. However using the ez pull gun has allowed me not to have any trouble. it also used to help me if i would stretch my forearms by putting my fingers on a solid surface and pushing down to stretch my forearms. the only thing i have now is calusus(sp) on my thumbs and forefingers but no pain.

another thing that i used to use was an item that I fabricated that attached to my belt. i made it out of metal for my belt to go through and had qc's on both sides of the metal. i would plug my hose on the bottom end and my whip hose on the top so i was not pulling with my arms. I was using my body to pull the hose. I ended up losing it so i can not post a picture, but if someone is interested in how i made it just call me.

My elbow feels like someone whacked it on the bone with a pipe. Not always sore, but certain motions or touches light it up. If you place a heavy book on the floor with the spine facing up, I can barely lift it by gripping it like a clamp. But I can "curl" full weight. Does that sound like TE or something else?

I had the same problem on each arm and after wearing a brace, both arms are just fine. I have always run a flow unloader, and after many k-7 failures, I now use a Zk1 also made by General. Much more durable.

I keep the braces in the truck and if i feel even a little bit of pain, I wear it until it goes away.

Carpal Tunnel. I my case more from gripping than squeezing, I believe. 4 Advil daily for relief. In later stages, hands go to sleep gripping anything like the cell phone.

And also tennis elbow (or a cracked elbow bone). Can't make this better, and it seems to be escalating. From jerking hoses and trigger blast. Anyone else deal with this?

Hey that sound just like me. My elbow gets so sore that you can't hold anthing up, that needs to have your elbow bent.

according to the sports medicine/orthopedic I saw, if there is pain in the elbow, or the inside of forearm, near the inside of the elbow joint, the problem is the biceps tendon. curling it up causes mild pain, but if you have your arm already bent with palm upwards, and there is a quick impact to the hand (as if catching something heavy from above) the tendon, already injured, will tear away.....

short of surgery, the only thing that works to repair the damage is rest, ibuprofin, and stop doing whatever it is that is causing the pain. the pressure cuffs that put pressure on the tendon, make it feel better, but he said its false security because more damage can be done as the pain is less but it hasnt healed at all......

as far as gripping goes, I have the same problem which flared it up worse when doing pullups for our semi annual swat physical. pullups with body weight plus all of our full gear adds about 80 more pounds....gripping, hanging from the bar made the tendons that much more inflamed........(this incident is what finally prompted the visit to the DR)

I haven't seen your machine, but more than likely the hose from the pump to the unloader is you ez-start valve. A bypass can only go one of three places. Fresh water inlet, supply tank, or spoil to ground. For the latter two, you can run all day w/o fear. If you unload to the fresh water inlet, you must release water every 60sec or risk cooking your pump seals.

You must unload somewhere. If you stop up the unloader bypass, you are not bypassing at all. If you do not overpressure and blow seals, you are more than likely forcing water through your ez-start which is not what it is designed for.

Also, the only way to get soap in you tank is to upstream (soap injection before pump). I can't imagine why you would do that, since it will shorten pump life and there are many ways to mix chems post-unloader.

I was just going off of what the hyrotek dealer told me about the machine having two bypasses, guess he did'nt know what he was talking about. I do like the k7 though.

I only upstream alkaline truck wash! Do you downstream your second step in a two step. Have never tried a x-jet, but sounds like a lot of work(I might love it though if I tried it)

My buddy has been upstreaming truck wash for 12 years. Plenty of his general pumps have lasted 2 years before needing rebuild (that is using the pumps 30-50 hrs. a week also).

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

I only upstream alkaline truck wash! Do you downstream your second step in a two step. Have never tried a x-jet, but sounds like a lot of work(I might love it though if I tried it)

My buddy has been upstreaming truck wash for 12 years. Plenty of his general pumps have lasted 2 years before needing rebuild (that is using the pumps 30-50 hrs. a week also).

I assume you're upstreaming because of your downstreamers mix ratios? I can't think of any other reason to do so. If so, get a better downstreamer (ask Mike W for info) or get an xjet. In a truck bay, I can see where a downstreamer might have advantages. But for a house (height, plants), I'm a xjet man all the way. FWIW, a xjet is just a high ratio downstreamer that goes at the end of the hose AND functions as a shooter tip I don't upstream or downstream ANYTHING since I got an xjet. I can deliver any chem I want at ratios up to 2:1. And I can switch chems or stop them entirely in seconds.

As for durability, there are two issues. Longevity and performance. I would assume that the micropitting effects of chems on pump bores would drop their performance even after a rebuild. The effect would be slow, so you may not even notice the performance loss. And for longevity, I am on year 4 of fulltiming (40+/wk). Both pumps are running strong w/o a rebuild. I do not upstream, I bypass to supply tank 100% of the time.

If it is working for you, keep on making money. I just wanted to mention the bypass so you don't inadvertently blow up your machine. Keep the pump cool and happy. Either recycle the water into the big tank, or dump it to the ground. As for xjetting, I find that keeping all equipment except for the shooter tip "water only" makes it last much longer.

Carpel tunnel, in 96 I crushed my wrist, destroyed it they built me a new one out of hip bone, but my median nerve was crushed also, couldnt use the hand for a year and fingers were numb for a few years. Now only a few fingers go numb sometimes, weird feeling, it doesnt hurt except in real cold weather. A brace used to help a lot now it just doesnt bother me