Sign in to follow this  
steffysmom

Moisture Meter

Hi Everybody--I am preparing to stain 4 decks with either the Ready Seal or the Wood Tux Wet--Question is: Ready Seal works best when applied at a moisture level of less than 12 %. My problem is that I don't own a moisture meter yet--any recommendations on the best unit to purchase for this type of work and where to purchase ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Steffysmom,

The cheap $35 Sonin moisture meter is just that...cheap. The on-off switch constantly gets switched to "on" when bouncing in the truck due to it being on the side of the unit. You will burn up a bunch of batteries. The pins are dull on the end so you cannot penetrate the wood to get a correct subsurface reading. If you are going to use Ready Seal, this makes the Sonin near worthless. I gave mine away to a local guy just starting to do wood.

The Delmhorst J-Lite is very sturdy, comes with a hard carrying case, wood species conversion chart, and extra pins. Real pins that you can sink into the wood. Well worth the $105 or whatever the cost is now. I've had mine for three years without problem.

Ive got a follow up question....I have a J-Lite and am curious, if it working (test lights work well, etc) is it possible for a moisture reading to be wrong? is there a calibration or something? or, if it works, it works and won't be wrong......??

Just make sure to press the calibrate button before you insert the pins, thats the one with the check mark that always reads 12%. Then insert, and press the button with the water drop on it. Presto.

You can convert with a chart for temp and species.

If the battery is bad the meter will peg when you hit the check button. Otherwise once you calculate it, you are good to go. You can cross reference the meter reading with the chart that comes with the Jlyte

I bought a moisture meter - and it hasn't told me anything I don't already know. If the wood looks dry, and feels dry, it probably is dry. I have one where you stick two prongs into the wood - and it has only registered moisture when in fact the wood seemed moist. Is there really a use for these tools? Am I missing something?

-Dan