Sign in to follow this  
PressurePros

Who pays for uniforms?

My ex wife was a registered nurse. She bought all of her own scrubs, equipment etc. An old girlfriend was a waitress, she bought her own uniforms, shirts etc. I supply all PPE, but is it neccessary to pay for all gear. I have three guys now and adding a fourth as soon as college classes end. It's a large outlay I want to reduce. I notice that since I am paying for gear, my guys are sloppy (wiping hands on shirts etc)

Thoughts?

Ken,

We recently started using bib aprons with pockets on them to cover with when sealing. Also the pockets are great for tools. http://www.bestbuyuniforms.com/detail.asp?id=193

It will help with the whole hand wiping with sealer on them thing. I placed the order one day, and had them the next day, so they are fast and since you are in PA I would think you would also get them fast. All our guys liked them.

Beth :groovy3:

Ken,

Why don't you allow them a certain # of shirts per year (i.e. 5), with the understanding that they take care of them, and if they require new ones they pay. Personally, I would'nt do this, I'd just continue buying the shirts.....they are spending enough money supplying their own shorts, pants, boots, jackets, etc. which are getting ruined by working for you. The inside of their cars probably stink. I'd chalk it up as an expense, maybe figure out a way to reduce it,

Thanks Beth, good lead. Your guys didn't gripe? I have the testosterone gang on my payroll. I'll have to make sure they don't draw breasts on them.

Jon, I have supplied everything. Pants, shirts, boots and hats.

Let me put it this way. They are not given a choice. It's the uniform, and they can either wear it, or get themselves a reminder why they are to wear them if they ruin a t-shirt by not wearing them.

Only one of our guys grunted. The others are pretty cool with it.

We provide t-shirts, hats, and aprons. They provide their footwear and pants. All protective gear we supply.

Beth

The apron got veto'd. I'm such a wuss.

I am debating a uniform allowance. It will be a set number and when they use up their allotment, it comes out of their pay. Is this legal?

A little sidenote: One of my guys will wear a shirt with eight colors of stains and bleach holes, so I know he will already be thinking "loophole".

I would set up a policy that outlines uniforms usage, company image, care and maintenance. If you are to have them pay for it, conduct a wage deduction for a specific period to cover the cost of new ones. Have them sign this new policy and the date it goes into effect. I guarantee that with the costs of the uniforms coming out of their pockets they will treat them better. Supply them with the aprons anyway as a uniform requirement with the benefit of how it will help them to keep their clothes cleaner longer.

You got to sell it to them in order to get buy in.

Rod!~