Sign in to follow this  
Neil_Asheville

tips for this deck

Question

Here are some close shots of a deck I need to quote this coming Thursday. Housewash also at $400. Homeowner couldn't meet tonight so I went by to have a look. I know nothing about the deck or what's on there now. Appears to be a semi trans oil. Will find out more Thurs. Second story 12x32 with 7 steps, 4x6 landing, and 7 steps. Flagstone patio underneath (yeah!)

I could use some guidance on stripping and sealing considering we'll only be doing the floors and stair treads. Bandboard, balusters, rails and cap are all in solid and will stay that way. Although, I will present the option to replace the 2x6 cap with a stained 2x6 to match the floor. That would look sharp. Railing is 45lf, not to include the stairs.

For stripping, should I be concerned with the solid balusters or bandboard coming off?

I'm curious to find out how others would stain this one. I use WTW. The house side will be masked. For the spindles, would you hand brush the outside edge? Shield and spray? Mask? Then there's that flagstone below. For those who spray floors, I just don't see enough product being applied such that I'd have to worry about getting runs or drips through boards below. Padding or rolling yes, but spraying (decker)? It will get wetted and tarped regardless, I'm just curious.

Look forward to comments on this one.

/neil

post-1223-137772156576_thumb.jpg

post-1223-137772156607_thumb.jpg

4 answers to this question

Neil

There is a chance you can mask off the solid stain/paint and try to get the plastic to stay up?? If it was me i would plan on touching the rail up with the solid that's on it and forget the plastic. If you can't get the plastic to stay up you can prewet the solid then spray your stripper min.strentgh and see how it comes off.

For the flagstone use WATER WATER and plastic after you wet them and water on top of the plastic to hold the plastic down.

The stairs would probally be faster to do them by hand and the floor use a small tip for the cracks.I find using a roller or paint pad on the floors that you get more drips.

Feel free to call if you need any help except for using WTW i have no clue.The Gray Away i use is pretty forgiving to work with also easy clean up on most surfaces.

Is the WTW easy to clean up if dripped on concrete,stone etc??

More pics of the whole deck and house?

I would use EFC-38 for the job. It will clean up the solid and won't affect its integrity as well as strip whats left of that semi.

The WTW will clean up quick off of anything as it is slower to dive into anything. My advice if you are doing this as a "deck-in-a-day" is to wait until the wood dries at least half a day or better yet come back the next day.

Neil,

Ditto on what Ken suggested. Test and see if sodium percarb will remove the old stain. If not, Shane had a good approach.

See if you can determine if the white vertical wood is an oil based, latex, or a foul acrylic stain. A diluted mix of sodium hydroxide stripper will probably have little effect on latex and most certainly will not touch an acrylic.