Sign in to follow this  
jgoral76

going rate for decks

Question

15 answers to this question

I wish I knew. The last deck I charged was $1.5/sq.ft of deck area to pressure wash and stain. And I feel it wasn't enough - mind you I am not counting all the area of balusters and the two stairways. Just taking a simple gross area of the floor, and I got $750 for a 500 sq.ft. deck with balusters and 2 stairways included. It took me and a helper 6 hours each or 12 total man hours just to stain the whole thing - which I figure to be a minimum of $480 for labor, plus 4 gallons of stain $100, plus the labor to pressure wash

$160. Which totals $740 - but this doesn't include time to bullshit with customers, travel time, heck how about some profits on top of that to help out with the losing jobs, etc.

-Dan

-Dan

We're closing strip/seal deck jobs regularly at between $1.85 and $2.00 per sq ft - and we measure like Ken.....every square inch of wood 'cause we're going to apply to and touch every square inch :)

Celeste

Ken - these people have a summer home in hawaii, 2 on martha's vineyard, on the maine coast. And when I offered to do it for $900 - they bitched and bitched and bitched. I needed the money and told I'd do it for the original rate I did 2 years ago for. They told me about their unexpected expenses. I felt 900 was too cheap - alas, that's what it is like working for the rich sometimes - they don't get rich by spending.

-Dan

Dan, unless the wood is new construction and just needs a breeze over cleaning, the rate is the same.I hear the same thing about the rich.. They didn't get rich by spending. Actually they value money and thats okay. If they can talk to some unsuspecting nice guy contractor into lowering his prices, they always will. More later, gotta run

Okay I've got some decks to wash and stain, when i look at charging what i think is ok ($1.35per sqft at 240 sqft= 324) that seems high for a deck with no railing or steps. I'm thinking $1 per sq on this on thats 240 and after all is said i make 182 not bad. Ur .02 please.

I finished my first deck strip and seal today. When I priced it I priced it for the rare deck and she also wanted the landing and step on her side door as well. I told her it would be a freebe to help get the deal.

Long story short, that little landing would have been an additional $75, not a whole lot of money, but it would have covered the materials.

I have found that it is very easy to under price something because of no spindles, just a little landing, she's an old lady, looks easy, etc, etc, etc. But then I have found that when you are 3/4 of the way thru all I think about is why did I underprice this job? I am doing the work, I should be getting paid for it.

Like everyone else says and I am now realizing, it's cost what it costs. Thats all there is to it.

And as celest says, if you touch it, scrape it, strip it or seal it, you better charge for it.

Moral of the story, don't adjust your price. charge what the job merits.

Okay I've got some decks to wash and stain, when i look at charging what i think is ok ($1.35per sqft at 240 sqft= 324) that seems high for a deck with no railing or steps. I'm thinking $1 per sq on this on thats 240 and after all is said i make 182 not bad. Ur .02 please.

That is a terrible price. You have to have a minimum job of $450.00. Otherwise it wasn't worth the 2 trips and all the work & supplies.

That is a terrible price. You have to have a minimum job of $450.00. Otherwise it wasn't worth the 2 trips and all the work & supplies.

Ditto, gotta set a minimum and stick with it. Every deck or dock I do has something come up that takes longer than I expected. If your working a very small deck that the minimum $ more than covers, then add something to clean for no cost. Quick house wash, driveway clean etc. But you still have to make that second trip, or when using WTW, wait an hour or two .

I understand but this is my neighbor 3 doors down, and i think with the ease of this deck it's a steal for me, did some thinking and set the price at 315 total. Jarrod whats ur rate for a deck at 315 sq. maybe things will have to change in my pricing so you guys don't list me as a low baller lol lol.BTW no competition from me to you on giving up ur rate. I promise Jarrod

How are you guys getting away with two trips, unless you are using WTW. 1 trip to strip or clean, another to stain, and the last one to take down plastic and tape. How do you remove the plastic without getting on the deck? Do you guys also have a minimum 450.00 for just a deck cleaning? If you have a 1 story ranch with a small deck that needs to be cleaned and you can't talk the owner into staining it, how will you still charge 450.00.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694