Sign in to follow this  
RCBill

Repairing a finish

Question

I am told of a failed finish that I may be called on to repair. The description was small areas of mill glaze. I don't know what kind of prep was done. The stain was an alkyd.

Can failures like this be repaired?

TIA,

Bill

9 answers to this question

I wouldn't touch it with a ten foot pole.

Wouldn't touch it with a 50' pole myself unless i'm stripping and re staining that deck. :cool:

I hear everyone in the industry talking about mill glaze - but the only time I have ever seen mill glaze was when I cut my own wood with a deathly dull blade on my circular saw. Never seen it on lumber yard products - maybe occasionally on the end cuts of pressure treated - but that's it. Anyways why won't people touch this job? Is the thinking that the homeowners think there is only $5 of work to be done, i.e. pita customer?

-Dan

I would be solving a problem for a stain manufacturer and it's distributor. Solving problems for people is great network building. I'd like to be able to help them. I may stick my neck out in spite of the good advice I'm getting here.

I was getting a chuckle out the 'wouldn't touch it with a 10', no 50' pole.

Oh yeh? Well, I wouldn't wash it with YOOOUURRR pitch witch!

If I was standing on a ladder in the yard next door, and had a 5000# machine, with an x-jet that sprayed 100% SH, I wouldn't wash it!!!!

I would be solving a problem for a stain manufacturer and it's distributor.

You could just use their deck washing "sodium hypochlorite" chem my guess to light clean the deck.Then re apply the same finish that's on the deck.

Any contractor that has been around awhile will rarely step in to fix someone else's work. What appears to be one spot, quickly turns into ten. Then you are trying to blend areas that wll never blend. The only way to remove an alkyd and mill glaze is to get to bare wood. How will you be able to tell exactly how much to strip? How will you strip certain areas without affecting other areas? How are you going to duplicate the look of the old sealer? How will you predict the penetrating characteristics of the freshly prepped wood? There is no way you can do spot repairs. I think my and Shane's replies were on the same page. Start from scratch or nothing. Been there done that, lost money on the sequel.

There is no way you can do spot repairs. I think my and Shane's replies were on the same page. Start from scratch or nothing. Been there done that, lost money on the sequel.

You not lying Ken when you say where do you stop?? Cause you will basically have to restain the whole deck to get an even looking finish.Spot cleaning and staining will always be tough to match up.

Good luck Bill and hope that stain company will pay you good to fix someone's mess.

Sounds like a good money job to me.I would charge twice the normal rate and sell on strip,sand and re-stain.

If someone is asking you just to spot treat it,tell them it can't be done and sell the whole thing.If they don't go for it,i would agree with the above posts and wouldn't touch the job