Sign in to follow this  
Dan Stapleton

Flow unloader

I want to switch from a pressure actuated to a flow unloader. I usually run my surface cleaner at between 3000-3500. Since the most popular one (k7) is only rated for 3000 I am reluctant to buy one. The zk1 is rated for 3600 but has 1/2" outlet and bypass. Can anyone recommend a good, durable one that has 3/8s plumbing. Seems like the zk1 is built for bigger machines with the 1/2" plumbing and gpm ratings up to 10 plus. I run 4.5gpm and max 3500. Thanks.

Hello Everyone, Not trying to hijack the thread but I was also thinking about the zk1 unloader. I have not replaced one yet but am sure it will happen sometime soon. Other than physically changing it out, what else do you need to do? Adjustments? I would like to know what to do so when I order one I will be able to do this myself. My machine is 5.6gpm, 3000psi hot water. Thanks.

Why not use reducer bushings to whatever size you want?
I thought of that, Don, I'm trying to find out if the 1/2" flow is needed for proper operation. Seems like it might be with the 10 plus gpm capacity. I dread calling general and jumping through the hoops to get to the right tech. guy. Thats what I'll do if I don't get any info here.

The info that I found on it states that it's for 2.4 to 10.8 gpm. It has a 3/8" inlet with a 1/2" discharge and 1/2" bypass. I see no reason why it wouldn't work.

Flow-actuated unloaders can be somewhat fickle when setting up, but after the bugs are worked out they're easier on equipment and the body.

Thanks, Don. Being fickle and those bugs are what concerned me about reducing. Makes sense though if the inlet is 3/8s. My elbow needs relief from that pressure kick. Keith is working on a new logo for me. Gonna do before/after postcards or flyers, new cards and am gonna hammer the nice developments around here. Hope your staying busy and all is well.

Use the ZK1 and reducer where needed, it will work just fine. My ZK1 came with a 3/8" inlet & Outlet, while the bypass is 1/2". My last Zk1 had the 1/2" outlet though.

I have run these on 5 gpm and 8 gpm units and they are far superior than the K7.

Is there any adjusting or fine tuning on the ZK1 unloaders? Do you just attach them and they are pre-set for 3000psi? I have not done this before but want to get one and change out my old pressure unloader. Thanks.

Use the ZK1 and reducer where needed, it will work just fine. My ZK1 came with a 3/8" inlet & Outlet, while the bypass is 1/2". My last Zk1 had the 1/2" outlet though.

I have run these on 5 gpm and 8 gpm units and they are far superior than the K7.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

I recently installed a ZK1 on my HydroTek 8 gpm/3000 psi 2-man rig and I LOVE it! A few years ago, I was turned on to the K-7 on my 4000/4 rig and it made a huge difference in ease of use/fatigue. Aside from not getting rocked every time I pull the trigger, not having pressure in the hose is awesome when pulling hose around a building. A relaxed hose is MUCH easier to deal with. As a bonus, if you need to swap guns, it can be done without shutting off the machine.

Thanks for the Link. It makes sense now. I do not have a pressure gauge on my rig. I bought a gauge but do not know where to install it. Where do you put the pressure gauge on the Unloader, before the unloader after the unloader? Thanks.

I only use my gauges for calibration and then they go back in the tool box. I have one with 1/4" qc's for the gun and another one with 3/8" qc's for before the gun. In order to see the spike pressure, you must have it before the gun.