Sign in to follow this  
RPetry

Shurflo lifetime

Is anyone getting more than a year of service from their Shurflo pumps (with Vitron seals) before replacement? This is the 3rd year running that I've had to replace one. Its not that they are that expensive, but a pain to replace and of course the pumps always fail on the job site. Ruined a pair of jeans using a backpack backup and a bleach mix the other day.

The pumps are used for citric acid, sodium percarbonate and sodium hydroxide mixes, and now starting this year, bleach mixes. Always flushed with water after use. Stored in the winter with antifreeze.

Any suggestions?

Ive had as low as 1 use, (yes 1) and more than a year. its hard to say. just clean them out good and hope for the best. keep a spare on hand. Northern tool is a good source. watch for sales.

Jon,

Yeah, I always buy Shurflos from Northern Tool. Inexpensive and they ship fast. Just saw this on another thread -

One big thing to remember using a shurflo is that it is NOT a continuous duty pump, so use it for no more then 15 minutes, and take a break, go pass out some flyers, smoke a cigarette, or have something to eat.

Give the pumps a break, and they will live a lot longer.

Might be part of the problem. This morning I'll be putting on ~ 13 gals. of citric acid to neutralize a large deck and pergola with a lot of balustrade. The Shuflo will be running nearly constantly for maybe an hour or so.

Another thing I noticed. When I was changing out the pump the other night, there was pressure on the outlet side. Guess I'm shutting the pump off without completely clearing the line of pressure. Never thought about it but this could also be a problem.