Sign in to follow this  
Guest rfitz

Wolmans Durastain

Question

Guest rfitz

I had a customer request I use a Semitrans on his deck, so I decided to use Wolman durastain, until I went to buy it, and found out it is on 3 weeks back order since Consumers Reports rated it #1, wow they carry alot of weight with consumers... Looks like I will be using Cabbotts instead, but for the same price they claim 500-600 sq ft per gallon, is this true ?

3 answers to this question

Cabot claims 400-600 sq ft per gallon for their series 1400 semi-transparent stain deck stain. It is a linsee oil/alkyd resin based stain.

Wolman Durastain claims 300-350 sq ft per gallon, 1 coat application. The semi-transparent is an alkyd/acrylic blend, linseed oil boosted with acrylic. They claim stronger mildewcide which is needed to conteract the linseed oil base (which is a food source for mold & mildew). They also claim great water repellancy with a guarantee and warrantee for a minimum of 2 years.

The stain is new for this year (as I understand) so it's hard to believe that consumer reports can qualify on its durability aspects pertaining to life and color, etc.. unless they are reading Wolman's test reports. What's also funny to me is that their initial released flyer shows it as being "Rated #1 Semi-Transparent Stain Formula!" The wording itself is interesting as it implies something different than what it says. There is a difference between being rated as a number #1 stain and being rated as the #1 formula. In my opinion, you can't / or shouldn't realistically be rated as number one quality until you have been in use for at least a couple of years.

Personally, I don't think the demand is that high, I just think the supply is low, as they are waiting on demand numbers to see how their marketing is kicking in.

Regarding pricing, (in my area) I can negotiate a very good price on Wolman products (up to a 40% discount), but the Cabot prices are not very flexible, which makes the total dollars spent about the same. To me, Cabot semi-transparent stains colors are not as attractive and the semi is very thick, making it look closer to a semi-solid or diluted solid. However, it can be thinned, mixing it up to 1:1 with their Natural Base. I'm not sure what this does for their solids content (most likely reduces it a couple percent in their range of 29-33% by volume).

Beth,

You never answered my earlier question about what type of oils are in Wood Tux. What makes it have the ability to be re-coated for applying maintenance coating vs. having to completely strip it?

To me, not having to strip a stain as it starts to fail makes a great selling point, as does the paraffin/crude oil base (such as Ready Seal) which can be used as a sell point against a linseed oil based (food for mold & mildew) stain. I was munder the impression that all crude/paraffin oil based stains can be reapplied without stripping (at least for 2 or 3 apps.).

I always like to know what I'm selling - makes it easier for me.