Sign in to follow this  
mmoseson

Cedar Siding and Linseed oil

I would appreciate any suggestions on cleaning/stripping and refinishing my siding.

Basically I think there is a heavy coat of linseed oil on the siding.

I'll confess that I've tried a number of solutions (mea culpa! 3 times) to clean it up. Anyway I've thought about ripping it all off and just slamming vinyl up :)

Also thought about putting down an solid stain to cover the embedded black mildew spots

tx

I'll confess that I've tried a number of solutions (mea culpa! 3 times) to clean it up.

What solutions did you try cleaning the siding with?

If you have pictures it would help.

BDA master, enlighten this man before he does something drastic.

I know what you mean Ken,i had a friend the other day tell me they let soemone paint their cedar house! There is nothing I hate more than hearing the "P" word used on cedar!

Whatever you do don't rip off or paint your cedar siding it can be saved.

I take it this is your personal home? (reads that way to me)

I moved your thread to the correct forum. :)

If you have pics, please post some. It will help us all to better answer your questions.

Beth

what's wrong with painting cedar siding? I am in the new england area - and all cedar siding be it shakes or clapboards are painted. I use a solid oil stain on my cedar shakes - but that's not typical for these parts.

-Dan

Thanks for your replies, to answer a few of the questions:

Yep it's my house (but the bank really owns it)

I've tried different solutions:

1. a small experiment with stripeze (sp?) that did ok, but it would take years

2. solution of bleach/tsp/mildicide

3. QuickFix from HomeDepot

4. just plain water in pressure washer

In general the house siding is in good shape, but there are some large sections that the previous owner went to town for Boiled linseed (the thicker the better! argh). So some areas are a runny mess. In some areas you get the flypaper feel ;)

anyway....

Item 2 probably worked the best, attached are photo's.

I'm curious on why a oil based primer and a solid stain wouldn't work? I do need to get it cleaned up enough to provide a clean dry surface.

post-1891-137772158063_thumb.jpg

post-1891-137772158073_thumb.jpg

I'm curious on why a oil based primer and a solid stain wouldn't work?

For us personally, it's not that it's not doable, some of us just cringe at the thought of covering up beautiful wood :)

Celeste

For us personally, it's not that it's not doable, some of us just cringe at the thought of covering up beautiful wood :)

Celeste

That's exactly my thoughts so what Celeste said :cool:

Don't hide the beautiful grain of cedar if you can help it.I think it's worth the maint.to keep up rather than have it look like all the other painted houses.

How about JoMax for bleach enhancement?

The only way to completely restore this cedar would be to use a Sodium Hydroxide stripper"very caustic" letting it dwell keeping it wet.Be very careful using caustics they burn like hell so protect yourself!You the want to rinse off the stripper at a low pressure.I can see where the previous p/washer made som marks.Those won't come off when you strip and clean the cedar this time.Now there are times when multiple coats of stripper is needed till old the stain is removed.The old stain will be seen in the water runoff as it's removed.You have to be carefull around painted surfaces cause the paint can be stripped off also.You then want to use a wood brightner after all the old stain has been removed.

The only consumer cleaning products i have used was Sherwin Williams stripper and brightner.They were not too bad for needing it in a pinch when i had to.

This is the process you would have to do to strip and clean this cedar to use a semi trans stain.It's not easy work but keeping the beauty of the cedar to re stain it will be worth it on the eyes!

Now as for just cleaning the mildew your bleach mixture is not strong enough and you need to use some kind of soap.I've never used TSP but have used THC a long time ago but not in cleaning wood.:cool:

You are welcomed to call me anytime.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and I will follow-up. My wife has accused me of OCD on this issue. I'll try the sod/hyd suggestion by Shane, if that's a no-go then it's a solid oil based stain as per Plainpainter.

Believe me I've invested the hours trying to keep the cedar.

Thanks to Beth for her guidance.

Thanks for your replies, to answer a few of the questions:

Yep it's my house (but the bank really owns it)

I've tried different solutions:

1. a small experiment with stripeze (sp?) that did ok, but it would take years

2. solution of bleach/tsp/mildicide

3. QuickFix from HomeDepot

4. just plain water in pressure washer

In general the house siding is in good shape, but there are some large sections that the previous owner went to town for Boiled linseed (the thicker the better! argh). So some areas are a runny mess. In some areas you get the flypaper feel ;)

anyway....

Item 2 probably worked the best, attached are photo's.

I'm curious on why a oil based primer and a solid stain wouldn't work? I do need to get it cleaned up enough to provide a clean dry surface.

Too much pressure. I see a fair amount of damage. Solid stains, like paint, will peel. Too many places for water to get behind the siding and then you are in for bubbling, flaking and rot. Cedar is very sensistive to water damage.Sodium hydroxide may be your solution, but it also may be overkill. If you use this type of caustic you will then need to pH balance your wood with an acid (oxalic or citric) to neutralize the caustic. If you post your email address, I will send you to a link to a website that wil give you an A-Z consumer guide to woodcare and has products that are not as caustic and will make your job easier.

Well,

Finally resolved this item, pressure washed with bleach solution (to kill mold), then used Cabot problem solver, then solid stain over that..

Worked out well, used a local contractor, George Jones in Gray, ME.

They did a great job.