Sign in to follow this  
Chappy

First liability claim

What is unreasonable about requiring that the PW inspect the interior of a building for existing water damage?

Personally, I would not even open that box of snakes. Use a well worded disclaimer and get on with the cleaning. It is difficult to determine what might happen, even if you know what to look for. I could not imagine doign an estimate to also include inspection of the attic and so forth.

KNow that the technique you use and be consistant will not result in damages under normal situations. If there is previous neglect by the homeowner, poor construction practices or whatever....you should not have issues.

That's why I feel it is important to know who, what when and where and etc from the insurance adjuster. My experience is, that although they may know a little about some things, you have to educate them, just as you do any customer. Make sure to be clear that you are NOT at fault. You have to make that statement and or any written correspondance.

Get copies of any reports ASAP and review them thoroughly.

CYA....NO ONE ELSE WILL!

not to mention I gave her over $800 in Freebees just to get the stupid job,

Why in the world would you do that, Rob? I thought you guys were so busy you were backed up for weeks and weeks!

How big was this job, to give away $800.00???

I would have told them to f-off. I hate customers,

Yeah, I hate the people who provide my livelihood too. Dang them! I just wish to heck they'd all just GO AWAY and LEAVE ME ALONE! :rolleyes:

Isn't there a better way to say it than "f-off"? Some of us have our company information in our signature lines, and a simple search for "Company XYZ" will yield at least a few hits to this site. I really don't want my customers reading this crap!

I would have told them to f-off. I hate customers, they want to blame you for a leak 5 months after a job - that's too funny. I would have told them I would sue them for libel - how dare they trash your name. All you did was be a responsible contractor and cleaned their roof. I've had this type of thing happen to me before - where I did a bunch of interior painting for these people that were trying to get it paid for by the insurance company due to smoke damage - of course I never saw any smoke damage. Just scum. And they were the 'nice' people. Who nicely wanted to screw me over.

Have you ever thought about the fact that just getting on a roof may damage some roof shingles - that were on the outs anyways? You gotta put a disclaimer that you aren't responsible for anything, unless it's gross negligence. If they hire you, it's their responsibility to provide a sound roof that is capable of withstanding your normal cleaning routine. This **** burns me, I had a friend paint a house - and his workers had to get on a roof to paint a dormer - well she had a leak in her roof afterwards. And they never did anything wrong. Possibly something just gave way - but that ain't their responsibility. That's just an aging roof.

-Dan

First of all, I would never ever take this attitude with any customer, even if theyre nasty to me. Nice guys may not finish finish first, but at least they can feel good about how they treated others and politeness goes a long way.

Anyway, it was a 5 year old roof. It haddnt rained substantiallyfor 6 months, then heavy rain after I was up there. Understandable how they could get the impression I caused something. I do use similar wording to the contract shown above by One tough pressure. However, just because the contract says something, any decent lawyer can find a way around it. why not go talk to the customer, who by the way was extremely nice, and, imho, not trying to cheat me or anyone for that matter, see what the complaint was and reassure them that "if it was my fault it will be taken care of!!!" That is what customer service is all about. and thats what gets repeat customers and referrals.

anyway. the customer was quite embarassed when the adjuster called. It really wasnt leaking, just a weird look to the wallpaper in spots that made it look like water dripping. stupid mistake and she apologized profusely.

case closed.

By acting professional and courteous you have gained another reference. Telling her off or just ignoring the problem, no matter what the outcome would have resulted in an unhappy customer. She will remember your attention and desire to please when she retells the story.