Sign in to follow this  
a68cudas

question about acrylic and oil based stain?

Question

6 answers to this question

so its opposit for stain then ? i had cubbords in kitchen that needed painting didnt have enough to buy new ones and applied latex over oil based and it chipped . i thought for paint that latex will chip etc if put over oil based but u can put oil based over latex with no probs ?. so with stain prime with oil then latex over that for finish coat. do you have to prime with oil? can you prime with latex and latex stain over for finish coat? another question. can u apply latex over latex primer if not then what do they make latex primers for? and why is oil primer better primer for latex finish. what about strictly paint do u have to use an oil based primer when using acylic latex?

Its not opposite for stain, its not happening period with stain. You can't put anything over oil based stain except for more oil based stain. Kitchen cabinets need to be deglossed either chemically or sanded and then painted with an adhesive oil based primer. I like oil based primers because they penetrate and lock onto the wood moreso than a latex. Latex primers on bare wood do not last. You original question was about stain over stain. You have to strip whats on there..OFF.

Cudas,

There may be confusion due to the differences in interior - exterior paints, and interior - exterior stains. To be honest, I'm not quite sure what separates an exterior paint such as a acrylic/latex from and exterior latex/acrylic stain.

Oil based paints were at one time the preferred final finish for interior wood trim. Due to the VOC police in the Northeast, B. Moore and I would guess other manus. are no longer offering interior oil paints. If I recall correctly, the primer for these oils was water based, not sure if it was latex or another ingredient.

Exterior house paints today are mostly acrylic, latex, or a combination of the two. On bare wood, an oil based primer is used, preferably two applications before applying the acrylic/latex finish coat.

Solid oil decking stains such as Cabot's should have a primer applied to bare wood. Cabot's offers an acrylic primer and also an oil primer. Either can be used but I believe the oil based primer is preferable. I would never put anything containing acrylics on an exposed wood deck.

Cabot's has also sold foul acrylic decking stains for years. Although most homeowners and contractors did not follow directions, you were suppose to apply an oil based primer to the wood before applying the acrylic stain. Due to the lack of an oil primer on most jobs, I think this is a primary reason most of us have such a difficult time stripping off old acrylic stains from decks with NaOH strippers.

Last year Cabot introduced the new SPF series acrylic decking stains. No mention is made of using an oil primer, just two coats of this stuff. We can wait and see but I expect this foul acrylic is going to be a total nightmare for homeowners and contractors alike.

Best suggestion I can offer is decide on a finish coat, whatever that is, and read the instructions carefully. Call the manufacturer if you have any questions. Prep the wood, whether interior or exterior, correctly.