Sign in to follow this  
Celeste

IRS Scam???

We got an email from service@irs.gov today with the following information:

After the last annual calculations of your fiscal activity we have determined that you are eligible to receive a tax refund of $63.80. Please submit the tax refund request and allow us 6-9 days in order to process it.

A refund can be delayed for a variety of reasons. For example submitting invalid records or applying after the deadline.

To access the form for your tax refund, please click here

Regards,

Internal Revenue Service

So I click on the link and the beginning of the url is this:

http://mail.holy-tw.com/.../IRS/refund/caseid886432/pas.php?certegy_vm=trueportlet_change_1_actionOverrideFchaseonlineFchangeFsigninDetails_windowLabel_portlet_signin_pageLabel_page_signin

This is not looking right to me, particularly when it's asking for my ssn. BUT, the home link on the page does take you to the IRS site? $63.80 is not enough money for me to get my identity swiped but wonder if the IRS has a department that handles this kind of crap?

never click links in emails.....unless of course it's somebody you know. Even then, I'll copy and paste it in another window....can't be too careful. I already lost one computer, not going to lose another one

I have corresponded with the IRS via email before, which is why this one made me look. All I know is that I seem to get every friggin' imaginable scam crap in my mail box these days - I spend as much time sorting through what Norton tosses around as I do reading legit mail!

Celeste

For every link, there are two pieces of pertinent information. The address you link to (the target), and the info shown as the link (the description). The description can show ANYTHING the link author desires. If you look at the bottom bar of most browsers you will see WHERE you are going if you click.

In the case of this email, you were headed to: http://mail.holy-tw.com

These people aren't from the US, they are from Taipei, Taiwan. That's why they are trying these scams, they aren't even from the US! Just remember, an email from someone can be from anyone they want it to be from. Always look at the link they are trying to send you to, regardless of the logos or email addresses they 'appear' to be from. Here's the information on the owner of this site:

Registrant:

Holy Wealth Industrial Co.,Ltd.

21F-3,NO.33,SEC.1,PANCHIAO MIN SHENG

RD.

Taipei 220

TW

Domain Name: HOLY-TW.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:

WU, SABRINA sabrina@HOLY-TW.COM

HOLY WEALTH INDUSTRIAL CO., LTD.

21F-3, NO.33 SEC.1, MIN SHENG RD.

PAN CHIAO