Sign in to follow this  
Brian Keating

Car Wash Mitt

Question

I was reading an article in This Old House magazine about the correct process on how to restore an old deck. The guy that was featured in the article said he uses a car wash mitt to apply sealer to the spindles and handrails. Has anyone ever tried this technique? If so, how well did it work?

5 answers to this question

Maybe, brand new, top grade cedar lumber could be stained with a mitt the first time.

But since the article was on restoring old decks, I doubt very much that the writer has actually tried using a mitt. Because if he had, he would known better. I'm calling him out on this one.

I'd be afraid of large slivers of wood entering my hand. You know how even a small sliver hurts, well imagine what a big jagged piece would feel like.

Rolling, brushing, padding, or spraying are the application methods that I prefer, and recommend.

They come in handy when you have some hard areas that even a sprayer will not let you reach, but splinters and mess, it would be your last choice...

Matt

the painter's mit has a plastic liner in it. Your hand get's sweatty and the mit fall's off.

Dont know if beth is talking about the roller that is made by sure line.

It has 3 little roller's on a bent roller head. It is made to roll paint/stain onto spindle's and for painting pipe. It's about 3 inc long. It work's pretty good.

Matt, use the zep spray bottle to get into tight space's.

Has anyone tried a STAIN STICK from SEAR'S?

It's one of those stick's that you fill with sealer then push on the handle to get the stain to come out the end.

[el' cheapo hurracane brush]

the nice feature about these[small job's] it the pad is made to get IN BETWEEN the deck's spaced board's.

It was worth the $25