Sign in to follow this  
Dr Basscanada

Color troubles

I,ve just completed 150 sq ft test using wood tux on new cedar deck.

The result is an unattractive bright orange.

The deck was put down 2 months ago. After safe wash and then oxalic/citralic, the wood was quite white looking.

I still have 2000 ft to go but would prefer deeper gold hue.

I'm not sure where I screwed up but if someone can help me I would be very grateful!!

Wood-Tux is a semitransparent stain. The finish color is dependent on the color of the wood. If the wood it naturally very light or was very bleached out (white) from the use of oxalic acid, the resulting color can be orange.

If the stain presents as orange and you wish for something darker, adding a very small amount (3 ml -- 6ml/gal) of black pigment will result in a more bronzy finish on white wood.

You can probably get black pigment from your local paint retailer. Ask for a mass tone black. If you have any further questions please feel free to give me a call at 636-288-8512.

Best of Luck

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

www.esproducts.net.

Thanks Russell for your quick response.

The wood tux looks like a million bucks on the rough cedar siding I did...a darker wood. I will try some black pigment on the decking boards. Does red cedar wood show whitish after oxalic or did I do something wrong. I was hoping to regain the original western red look of the wood. Would two coats of the original wood tux leave a darker result? What do you suggest I do for the already treated orange section of deck?

Thanks again

Dr. Basscanada

Straight oxalic acid is difficult to work with because it will very quickly degrade the natural oils and sugars that give the wood it's characteristic coloring. This "bleaching" action can happen almost on contact.

At this point to regain the natural color of the wood you have to remove the bleached out wood cells from the surface. For that you will have to either strip the deck with a power washer or sand the surface to reveal fresh new wood.

Your alternative is to use stain to achieve the color you are looking for. You apply an additional coat of Wood-Tux to the are you have already stain to achieve a darker hue. This second coat will result in a shine to the surface. You may or may not find this desirable, it will depend on your personal taste. I would suggest that you first do a small test spot and allow it to dry before making the determination to move forward.

If you want to achieve more of a red color you are going to have to add red pigment to replace the natural red in the wood. Again you can find this pigment at a local paint store. In the case of red, ask for a microground transoxide dispersion for oil based stains.

If you decide to tint the stain to change the color it would be best to remove the stain that you've already installed. This will be very difficult as it is a fresh application of a very high quality finish. If you are going this rout I would suggest that you contact a local restoration contractor. The job will require special chemicals and safety equipment such a respirators.

Please contact me directly before you move forward. I would like to make some additional inquiries so that I am better able to offer my assistance. I will be out of the office today so please call my cell phone at 636-288-8512

Russell Cissell

Extreme Solutions, Inc.

www.esproducts.net