Sign in to follow this  
One Tough Pressure

Curbs/Gutters

Question

Bid on a condo complex today. Sidewalks, pool area, driveways, retaining walls and the curbs/gutters.

Except for the latter, I had no problems. These curb/gutters are 18" wide and have a good size concave to them. Surface cleaner is probably not going to work, so out comes the trusty wand.

Total running feet of curbs was 6200 feet, so the sq footage is 9300 sq ft. What would you charge for this? Will give my price when I see what others have to say.

16 answers to this question

On "unusual, but not too difficult" work, I charge my hourly rate of $50/hr. I assure the customer that I work fast and try to give a guesstimate on how many hours it will take.

You didn't mention it, but is there rust on these curbs? and do they expect you to remove it? Make sure you charge extra for that.

John,

No rust, just many years of normal dirt. In fact the whole place is just dirt, and a little mold on the shaded areas. Driveways, over 15,000 sq ft of them, don't even have any oil leaks.

The worst areas, are where the asphalt company got slurry on the curbs and walkways.

Alan:

Are they expecting you to remove the slurry from the curbing? If so, what are you going to use to do that? I've not been able to remove it from concrete...I'm assuming what you're referring to is the black topcoat on the asphalt.

I have had good luck with slurry in the past. Usually just hot water, but sometimes a grease and tar remover. Like gum, it can leave a shadow behind, but a very light one at most. I always tell my customers the truth before starting, so they know what to expect.

Guy just called and one of the members of the HOA Board has a problem with paying for everyones driveway, now he only wants just the slurried ones cleaned. May lose a large chunk of the bid.

yep, HOA boards can be tight-fisted. That's my day job, VP for a property management company that manages HOAs. All too often they want too much work done for too little money. Are you dealing with a self-managed association, or are they managed by a company? Self-managed associations can be difficult to deal with, because many times the people you're dealing with don't have a clue as to what it will take to get a job done right, and they have a personal stake in keeping expenses as low as possible. Management companies usually have a better idea what it takes, and what it should cost

Is it a condo or single family homes?

They are condos, and I am dealing with the HOA president. Did not ask him details on if he is the decision maker or who he has to go thru first. He is dealing with me and then when we are done he says that he will make a few calls, not sure to who, but figure the board members.

OTP,

Careful dealing with HOA, slow pay and that goes to property management co too.

I have dealt with a couple of them. I live in one and they suck, all are control freaks so we butt heads often.

First and last time I will ever live in one.

Now the asphalt if very new will come off easy, if old forget it but have heard some say diesel fuel poured on it makes it loosen up so you can pressure wash it off easy.

Just be careful of cars around where you work if you use diesel.

Jon

Indeed I do know you well, still diesel should do the trick.

Ok on a more serious side if you get the contract be sure you put how your going to be paid in writing and have all sign it.

You too and give them one copy.

Spell out exactly what they should expect and what you can and cannot do.

I know it is common sense but your dealing with a corporation if it is a HOA. Most boards have five members, 3 out of five are needed to agree on things, those are the ones you want to sign the agreement.

Jon

I agree with Jon...If you're dealing with the HOA board directly, and not a management company, be sure to get a signed contract. You may not need three signatures, depending on CA law, but you're safer if you do.

If you're dealing with the management company, be sure the owner or President of the company signs the contract.

Some companies pay slower than others...we pay within 30 days...One major check run each month. Get your invoice in by the 5th, and you'll have your check on the 10th. I realize many companies aren't this way, just wanted to point out that we're not ALL evil :)

Knowing what it is like from a contractor's perspective, I wouldn't stand for us to be slow payers. You don't generate contractor loyalty by holding up people's paychecks.

Thank you for the heads up on these slow payers. I will double check and change my contract wording if I feel they will have an excuse to delay payment. You would think that when people know where you live, you would pay fast.

Well, it isn't so much the self-managed associations as the management companies that pay slow, often because invoices get caught up in approval processes, get shuffled into a file, etc etc, and just don't get paid on time. I would think a self-managed association would pay quicker, since you typically have one board member responsible for writing checks, etc.

For cleaning those curbs you can get double headed turbo wands from northern tool. Or just make your own. They easily double the speed of what you can wash. I use them on basement steps and stuff also with a 6' extension wand so I don't get covered in mud..