Sign in to follow this  
Mike Williamson

Spinner rebuild

Question

I got my rebuild kit today, and will be installing it tomorrow. I got the spinner out of the surface cleaner (and pain in the rear in itself) this evening, and will start in the morning on rebuilding it.

Anything I need to be aware of before I begin? How difficult is this thing to get apart and back together? The blueprint that comes with the kit is just a CAD drawing of the spinner...no instructions as to getting it apart, or back together.

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

There are a fair number of different designs out there. Most are of a fairly simple design. Maybe able to help if you can post the print/drawing.

Whats in your rebuild kit? Bearing(s), seals, lube, snap ring?

Depending on the design, the bearings COULD be the most difficult to remove.

One of the most important things to remember is to keep contamination / dirt out of the bearings (make sure you have a clean area to work in).

Meant to mention in my first post...It is the Deublin swivel from a steel eagle. The kit has two bearings, snap rings, a few orings, a spring, and a couple other small seal-looking things.

As far as the bearings, I may have to have them pressed onto the shaft, which I can have done at a local machine shop. My main concern is getting the thing apart and back together properly.

Thanks!

Seeing the drawing would help. Deublin makes a bunch of rotary unions.

You may have to have the bearings pressed off and pressed on.

Make sure they press on the inner race of the bearing when installing it, otherwise the bearing can be damaged.

You may need a mandrel to press the bearings on. Sometimes we used an oven to heat the bearing, then it would slide on but you have to make sure that the specific temperatures are not exceeded. (If the person picks up a hammer instead of a mallet you better take your parts and run!)

I would suggest calling Deublin customer service (847) 689-8600 and talk to a repair tech to review the disassembly and assembly procedures. The process is not complicated but those unions are fairly expensive if you damage the shaft or housing.

Turns out I didn't need to rebuild the spinner...Once I got the surface cleaner apart, I realized what was causing the extreme play in the shaft...One the steel eagle, the rotary union is housed in a black casing, and is held tight by three allen screws. When I had bent the bars, the few seconds of running with bent bars had wobbled the union loose in the housing. Not being familliar with the way this thing was put together, I didn't realize that until tearing it apart. As a result, I put it all back together without rebuilding the union, and the wobble is gone. There's still some vibration, but no more than it has always had. I'm assuming this is normal. I did my best to balance the bars, though I don't see an easy way to do that. I balanced the manifold on a nail driven through a 1x4 board, and filed off the edges of each bar until it was balanced.

I am not sure yet that it doesn't need to be rebuilt. I used it today and it does not seem to be cleaning as well as it did prior to all this. I find myself having to go slower than normal and having to go over cleaned areas a second time to remove the swirl marks. I expected it to clean better than before, since in replacing the bars, I found that two of the three nozzles were slanted about 45 degrees from where they should be, meaning that rather than the spray pattern being in line with the spray bar, it was halfway between horizontal and vertical to the spray bar. I also found that one nozzle was plugged.

When running it today, I noticed that I'm running at about 2500 psi at the pump...I'm thinking that possibly the previous owner of this surface cleaner had installed the wrong nozzles for this machine. I can't tell that for sure, since the printing on the nozzles is long since worn off. I don't know how much difference that 500 psi should make in the cleaning ability. I have some replacement nozzles (25020) which would give me a net size of .06 which is what this machine requires.

I don't have any pressure problems when running the wand with a .06 tip, stays right at 3000 psi. The only other thing I can think of is that the bearings are not turning like they should, and thus the spinner isn't rotating at the proper speed. If the new nozzles don't make a difference, I will tackle rebuilding it.

As far as pressing on/off the bearings, there's a machine shop here that can do that

Any other suggestions as to what would cause the cleaner to clean this poorly?

Oneness,

From what you have posted it sounds like your nozzles are worn.

I would bet changing them will bring your pressure back up. The lowwer pressure is usually a good indicator of that.

If you check witht the manufacturer of you surface cleaner they will prabably provide you with a tempate for proper nozzle angle.

Don't forget to grease the bearings periodicly if you have a grease zerk on your union.

Good nozzles, proper angle, balanced arms should make your unit return to its previous glory.

Hadn't thought of them being worn. I'll see what happens when I replace them.

The arms are at the proper angle, I used a template provided by Wiz. Greased the spinner, though that is suggested only at 3 month intervals.

We'll see what happens!