Sign in to follow this  
SPLAT

Proper mounting of tank and machine

Greetings all, I have a 225 gallon horizontal poly tank that is going to be mounted on a 5 x 10 dual axle trailer. ? is what would be the preferred method of mounting this, lengthwise or cross ways? I've seen it done both ways so I assume it is probably a matter of preference. Also I have the galvanizes pipe type mounting brackets that fit in the grooves of the tank and bolt to the floor, what extra bracing did you guys use (if any) to secure it to the trailer underneath? Also, same question for skid mounting. Thanks in advance. Jeff Letson

Dude if I were you and in the states where the roads are actually engineered and planned well, I would try and get a larger trailer before you go drilling holes in it. I can GUARANTEEE you will outgrow that trailer before you know it. I bought a 6x10 and wished I had gone bigger because of floor space however some of my roads are still from the horse and buggy days so any bigger would be a PITA for me sorry just my .000000012.

I just use large washers or square plate stock on the bottom to help the plywood. Depends on what size plywood you have for a floor. Now some tanks if the straps don't reach the floor you want to use a spacer between strap and bolt. I have used pipe as a spacer just measure how much of a gap there may be and then buy the lenght of pieces you need to cover bolt.

Thanks Dave, It's an open trailer and has 2x6 flooring in it. I was kinda thinking about the square plate thing just wasn't sure. pipe thing is a great tip. I'm originally from Michigan moved to AZ. 'bout 4 years ago. Have a good friend that grew up in roseville, been there many times, I'm from caro (30 miles east of saginaw) thanks again, Jeff

We are moving to Traverse City soon here so I can get some peace and Quiet.

The pipe just helps keep the tank from having alot of pressure on it. You want them tight but not so where you may ruin the integrity of the tank by squishing it or cracking.

Also it is preference on how you want you tank. Also just balance the trailer correctly and you should be fine. Some have put the machine side by side with the tank on open unit to get the weight over the axles. It's your option though. What are you pulling the trailer with and does it have brakes? Also make sure that the exhaust is not pointing at the tank.

Traverse city is really nice, much more peaceful than the metro area. I'm pulling with 2005 ford f-150 V-8 factory tow package new brake controller, has like 7000# tow rating. I'll over load the trailer before I over load the truck. Take care, Jeff

Just remember that if you put the tank long ways as oposed to across the trailer your water will have more room to move! This is not a good thing. If you put it long ways you will need baffels to stop the water from moving so far. Then it will not push your lite truck! ;)

If it was me, with the trailer that you describe, I would put it cross ways. What is more, I would put as big a square of steel plate as I could do. I have had the bolts pull through a wood floor before. Now all of my wash trailers have either a steel plate floor, which works okay, or Expanded metal, which I like a lot better.

Jut what I would do if I was you.

Thanks guys for all the info, I'm thinking the best bet would be to have some more angle iron cross beams (4) welded in the proper spots, 2 for the tank and 2 for skid, or do you guys think that would be over kill? Thanks again, Jeff