Sign in to follow this  
Jarrod

One PITA!!!

Question

This deck scared off 4 previous contractors. It had a nasty finish on it that was very hard to remove. I used HD80 and let it dwell 30 min. and then washed it with my chem tip! I'm glad I took the job and hopefully, so is my customer. The deck is 535 sq. ft. and it took me about 2 hours. If it was an oil base, it would have taken me half the time. Patience is NOT one of my virtues, but these jobs are forcing me to acquire some.

post-1482-137772159707_thumb.jpg

post-1482-137772159712_thumb.jpg

14 answers to this question

They are lucky the rail didn't catch completely. Looks like it almost went up. Sand that puppy....

The floor - will only look so good. grease is grease...but you could try sanding. If you do, go the entire length of the board or you will have and uneven board.

The rest of the cedar looks great!

Beth

p.s. the product you removed looks like Sikkens Cetol DEK...Cedar color.

Wow, nice strip job Jarrod. That looks like Behr sh*t that was on there. Of course I'm so new to decks that all failed sealers look the same to me. I know, I need to come up and see you in action. Hey thanks for giving the wife a pep talk on the phone a week or so ago. I haven't gotten her that excited about the biz since I started up. So what sealer are you going to use on that deck? Don't forget to post pics when your done. Nice job so far.

Sikkens Cetol DEK in Cedar would look like ....sort of like a dark caramel apple coating....forms a film on top, slippery when when kind of thing, has uneven wear, cracking and peeling mostly on the floor and rail caps, and takes a long dwell time even for HD-80. It has changed in formulation due to VOC laws, and today what is in the can is Alkyd. However a coating that age would have been a polymer resin if it was the DEK product. Whatever it was, it sure looked nasty to me. Very nice strip.

Beth

Thanx for the positive feedback everyone.

Beth, thanks for the sanding tips. I will keep what you said in mind. I'll post what the product was. I forgot what it was.

Barry, I'm glad I could help, get up here dude!

Ken, I did not stick around for the deck to dry, but, I think it will need a "shave" if you get my drift. I washed with my chem tip to avoid a 5 o'clock shadow. Hopefully it worked.

More to come in this weeks saga, PITA decks from Hell!!! (with lots of reverb)

Great job Jarrod.

I have had to deal with Sikkens Products a few times and they are no fun. I need a little help in the patience dept. as well.

I really like using the Osbourne brushes for the five oclock, when needed. They are great for buffing up areas quickly,

Here's the finished product

Believe it or not, no sanding was needed. Deck only had a slight two o'clock shadow.

Customer didn't want us to sand off the grease spot or the burn mark.

post-1482-137772159783_thumb.jpg

I gotta give you props, Jarrod. That is a text book job. The wood is not overly washed out from too much acid. I forget what you use as a sealer? What is the customers logic for not sanding off/replacing that burnt hand rail?

Ken & Beth, thanks for the compliments.

The logic was, that the customer wanted to replace the boards next time.

The sealer I used is TWP cedartone 101.

I still gotta find out what the previous crap was.