Sign in to follow this  
grizzley

Hose repair

Is there any way to repair a pressure hose that has a hole in it?

I think I found something that seems it might work, but I'm just seeing if there is anything else.

Also, off subject.... but what is the max length of hose you have used? I run 4000 PSI and around 6 GPM.

Thanks!

I have used these ends for years for "in xhop repair", they hold up well. Fixing is a piece of cake. I do enough that I have a 6" cut off saw...about $35.00 at Harbor Freight . A carbide hacksaw blade works well, too. Don't bother with a regular hacksaw. The wire in the hose snaps the teeth off the blade which usually leaves it pretty ragged on the end, which makes the fix harder.

I use those fittings also. With a chop saw (so you get clean edges) it takes less than 10 minutes to make the repair. Just cut off the bad section with the chop saw, install the outer piece over the hose cover (threads counter clockwise) and then the inner piece into the outer piece (which expands the hose into the outer piece) and you are done. Get both kinds because if you have to repair the end at the hose reel it helps to have the swivel end. I have not had any come off yet. I did have the Factory end blow off today at a job and have to shut down and get my spare and install it and go back to the job and finish. I will NEVER NEVER NEVER buy anything from the place that a lot of us know about but I will not mention their name(----------). The Brand new hose that sprouted a pinhole after about 20 minutes of use and I cut the end off and repaired it now blew off the factory end on the Hose reel end. I installed my new hose I got from Pressure Tek and will repair the hose and use it as an extension when needed. No matter how many fliers that company sends, I will have to force myself to never purchase from them again. I did over pay on shipping several times when talking to other people and that makes me more angry but you learn these lessons in life and life goes on. It reminds me of an old episode of Seinfeld when they were using the term "Serenity Now".

I just have to calm myself down. I did not mean to go on and on. Hope this helps.

Careful cutting of the hose is key...you don't want the end ragged or flared. The ends also come for R1 or R2 hose and are not interchangeable. On some thicker walled hose you may have to skin the rubber back 1" or so. This will not affect the repair, as the end grasps the steel wire braid and not the rubber. Screw the ferrule (outer piece) on counter clockwise. Apply grease to the insert and screw it in clockwise. The last 3/8" is the toughest...this is where the hose does the majority of its expansion. I like to use an impact wrench to assemble them...much easier.

For the future.... I got alot of extra life out of my hoses by letting NAPA auto parts just repair them for around 15.00 bucks. Once you have a hole in a high pressure hose, it's on it's way out regardless of the repair. Although you will buy a little time with the repair, you will sooner than later need to replace it.

That is a good idea using the impact wrench. I have just used wrenches but the impact wrench would speed it up. I got an air compressor a while back but I want to get the water separator and oiler before I get some air tools. A mechanic friend told me that the moisture in the air will mess up the air tools in a short time. Any good brands or suggestions?

One of the main hoses that I use I have been using for the past 4 years. I don't know the brand, but it came with a Hydrotek I bought. I have had to cutout a couple of bad spots and just had it joined back together at a hydraulics shop. I believe a perfectly good hose can get "lucky" and be damaged anytime and the entire hose is still in good shape.

I believe a perfectly good hose can get "lucky" and be damaged anytime and the entire hose is still in good shape.

Yes, that is my case. The hose was used about 2 hours and then blew a hole.

If The Hole Is Near The End Of The Hose Go To A Hose Manufacter.. Near My House There Is A Place Called Mako Hose And Rubber, They Have Quick Connects Cut The Hose Perfectly, Or Just Use The Qick Fix Thats Looks Like It Would Work