Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

need help finding tint

Question

Hey guys,

Need some help here. I have a deck to stain tomorrow with WTW and homeowner wants it tinted like Ready Seal's medium red. I thought I could just go to Sherwin Williams and buy tint. Wrong! I should have checked first.

I called Russell friday and he said I needed oil-based trans oxide pigment. Shermin Williams guy was clueless and so was the local paint store guy. I didn't have any time to call any other places because I was working. I am close to Louisville, KY. Does anyone know where I can find this pigment at? There is a Cabot's dealer about 30 miles away and I was wondering if they would have or if they would even sell it. Any help will be appreciated. Fenner, Beth, and Rod I know you guys use WTW a lot. Where do you guys get the tint. Thanks!!!

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

10 answers to this question

We're still looking for a supplier of trans-oxide pigments. None of the paint retailers use it in their tinting systems around here. All their Sikkens products come pre-tinted and are not customizable...so we are stuck.

I had a few 5 gallon pails of California Redwood that I have been using as a supplement for making western cedar for our maintenance decks which their are quite a number of. Those are all but gone now and I have about 2 gallons of it left. I could use easily about 10-5 gal pails of California Redwood for tinting purposes to get me through all the Western Cedar maintenance decks that are due this coming year.

If someone finds a tint supplier and quantity is a problem, lets talk and see if we can work something out that will help a bunch of us who need pigment.

Rod!~

I've got to run out the door. Finishing the HOA of 35 decks today and get the last check :))))).

I can get the black and red in gallon sizes from a Duron store here. I'll check back here later today or PM my and we'll hook up.

In gallon sizes you should have enough to mix hundreds if not thousands of gallons.

We still have several smaller tint kits in stock. The delivery rate has been horrible with the tint kit. The box is small and seems to be the perfect weight for throwing. More than half of the kits that go out the door never make it to their intended delivery address. In some cased we have had to send 3 kits to the same contractor just to get one delivered successfully.

I can ship out gallons of the tint. For what ever reason, they make it through OK. As Paul pointed out, 1 Gallon of pigment will tint a lot of stain.

I've also been able to locate local suppliers for several contractors who called looking for tint.

If you still need help, feel free to give me a call.

A store that sell's Benny More paint's might help you. They have pint size cans for tinting in the back room. Or a paint store for auto's

What kind of oint cans should I ask for... I really dont know much about this kind of things... but really need help now!!! :lgtear:

What kind of oint cans should I ask for... I really dont know much about this kind of things... but really need help now!!! :lgtear:

What kind or color of tint are you looking for?

The cans of tint commonly available are either clay/earth pigments along with titanium dioxide bases.

The tint is specified by a color (ex:red, blue, black, yellow, and then into odd names)

Rod!~