Sign in to follow this  
sjpressurewashin

stripper help please

Question

I gave an estimate the other day on a 1000 sqft plus deck that was fairly new that someone had put some kind of "something" on it while it was still green.The home owner didn't even know what it was. It looks to be either Sikkens or some type of Acrylics, it may even be some kind of Lacquer. It is very spotty from where it was done before wood had cured. It is yellow to honey gold in color and some real shinny spots here and there. I'm not sure what the best thing to use to get it off would be and I was hoping some of the vets could give me advise before I start doing test spots to see what works the best. I may have to order something and wanted axpert advise before I ordered.

Thanks in advance.

SJ Pressure Washing

10 answers to this question

Before you spend money on a bunch of products you better do a test spot. Didn't the homeowner know what is on there? The new ACQ is a real PITA to seal. The easiest and cleanest way to check and se if a standard hydroxide based stripper will work is to grab a can of Easy Off and spray a small, inconspicuous spot and see what happens. If the product emulsifies, then I would order some HD-80 pronto.

Use a sodium hydroxide based product such as HD-80, F-18, or Tiberstrip Pro. Do a test spot. If it cuts through it, you are most likely not looking at an acrylic. Apply the product to a difficult area for your test such as a vertical surface where the product is more heavily applied and still intact. Remember to neutralize your test area.

Beth

I tried some easyoff oven cleaner and it didn't even know it was there. I went to J T Davis and picked up some Wolmans Deck Strip and with 15 minute setup it started to cut the stain. I feel like its Sikkens Natural. Would F-18 or Hd-80 work better than Wolman?

Thanks,

S & J Pressure Washing