Sign in to follow this  
Beth n Rod

The Good, Bad and the Ugly customer

I think we are on the pinnacle of creating an 'Etiquette' for interaction with our customers and also the reciprocal Etiquette for their interaction with us.

In regard to recent posts, I have noticed similar veins permeating them and it revolves around the customer/contractor interaction.

Many of us are willing to do our very best to make the customer happy and that at times can be to our business' detriment in the form of revenue lost.

This can come as a result of many factors and instead of elaborating them myself I would like to open up the floor for others to talk about this.

I don't think the customer always right especially with them being able to yell, curse, threaten and demand from us in a manner they would not accept from us.

I will extrapolate from the responses given over time a preliminary determination based upon consensus what is acceptable and what is not when contractor/customer engage.

I think this is very important for all of our members to contribute to as we can make positive changes that will have a far reaching effect in the relationships we have with our customers both current and new.

In an effort to change the stigma cantractors have and the way the public sees us this is your chance to show them that we are not just a bunch of losers who picked up a tool and called ourselves a business.

Let's here from you!

Rod!~

For the most part I find my client base to be very respectful. There was only one situation where I had to tell my guys to pack up and leave the jobsite. I wasn't there and in meeting with this customer prior I knew of his condescending nature. I will not tolerate someone giving myself or anyone I employ a hard time.

Making endless requests, watching us work, or making comments before a job is complete will be met with light hearted ribbing. It is annoying but people are allowed to annoy me, they are paying me. When the line becomes crossed is when I feel my integrity or that of my people is compromised.

The above mention customer told my guy he was an idiot for using the technique he was using and proceeded to actually endanger my guy and himself by attempting to grab the wand and show him how it was done. When I got that call, I told them to stop right there and roll up the hoses. I was very severe with the customer and offered to complete the job only with payment made in full, in cash, prior to work restarting. He yelled about suing me, we had a contract blah blah blah. He got half his filthy house washed for free..he had no case.

When you are one man show you can kind of wing your policies and adapt. As you grow into multiple crews, you need to set parameters for what is acceptable.

It positively comes down to making sure the customer doesn't have unreal expectations. Telling a guy his gutter will look brand new without doing a sample clean of all sections, for instance, would be setting yourself for possibly unpleasant future interaction.

I don't think the customer always right especially with them being able to yell, curse, threaten and demand from us in a manner they would not accept from us.

Like Ken I have been very lucky with my customers….then again I am 6’4” and weigh 296 pounds-so that may have something to do with it.:)

Of course we get plenty of crabby ones but never down right disrespectful. All in all we are very fortunate and that is the only reason I am able to offer a Satisfaction Guarantee for all of my work.