Sign in to follow this  
clean kentucky

mineral spirits on asphalt

Question

Does anyone know what it takes to get mineral spirits out of blacktop. We were staining a deck today and I told an employee to go to the end of the drive to soak a few rags in mineral spirits. Well, he soaked the rags good and the asphalt at the end of her driveway too. It looks like a big oil spot. Lady is off her rocker. Says she won't pay for the deck until the spot goes away. I understand we made a mistake and I offered compensation and she didn't want to hear it, "no money until the spot is removed" I am going to try to get the spot off, I have tried my heated unit and it didn't budge. I don't think she even owns the property, it is on the road at the end of her drive (none on her driveway) in a neighborhood. I may have to take her to court to get paid, but I hope not. I was as nice to her as anyone could be, I think she is trying to get a freebie. Do some of you gus have suggestions, it sure would be appreciated. I do have pictures of before and after on the deck and there can be no complaints. I also have a signed contract.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

29 answers to this question

I told you guys that I would keep you up to date. I was pretty aggravated about it and then I calmed down, prayed, and told the Lord I would leave it in his hands and whatever happens it would be alright. Well, the Lord doesn't let me down, I went by today to try the spot again. I let it soak in tide w/bleach for two days and today I hit it with some heat. It helped out quite a bit, seemed like it loosened the spirits up. Walked up to the door and the customer walked out with the checkbook and asked how much he owed. I knocked 50.00 off the bill for our mistake. Thank the Lord it worked out.

Doug Baker

Baker's Pressure Washing

270-268-1694

Tip from a newbie who's used to hydraulic oils and other chems on concrete and asphalt from his old Naval aviation days...next time use old style kitty litter/chem dry on the spill. Pour it on, let it set 15 minutes to absorb, grind some fresh litter in the really bad spots with the heel of your boot, then sweep it all away. Works wonders.

It never hurts to help.

Surprised there aren't some mechanics (shadetree or otherwise) here.