Sign in to follow this  
mdmtexican

New Guy--percarb/precarb?

Question

Hey everyone, I'm fairly new to the business, i've done several fences and 2 friends decks. I've been using Readyseal to stain, and have been using bleach...and a maybe a teaspoon of soap(helps make it "gel" a little better and "stick" to the fences) to spray on fences/decks before P.washing to remove the mildew/mold/gray...i've heard alot of you guys talking about precarb/percarb solutions to clean etc. instead of bleach...what are precarb/percarb solutions and the pro's con's of using these V.S. bleach, And please forgive me for my ignorance on the subject, but that is why i joined this forum, to learn from you guys.

10 answers to this question

Welcome to TGS! :)

There is lots to learn up here. Best suggestion I can make, is grab a big snack and large drink, carve out a block of time and start reading threads. There is also a FAQ are ( look for the FAQ button on the navigation bar) that has basic wood care FAQ's in it, and use the search feature. Folks are glad to answer questions here, but you will also find lot of stuff is here just waiting for you to surf....

I'll stop back later to see how you are progressing!

Again, welcome to TGS!!!!

Beth :dancing: :sunshine:

Mdmtexican,

What people are referring to is sodium percarbonate. It is the major active ingredient in many commercial wood cleaners. I have used it since day one for new wood, untreated wood, or to remove very deteriorated old oil stains.

A few downsides. It does not mix well in cold water. Very warm or hot water is best. It also off gases a lot when first mixed, and using a Shurflo pump to apply after mixing is a problem. I usually use a 5 gal. backpack sprayer with a hand pump. You should use it within an hour or two of mixing, as it loses potency fairly quickly. It is caustic and will darken wood somewhat, it is best to neutralize and brighten with an acid after use.

I use a light bleach mix, ~ 1.5% with a touch of soap, but only on Ready Seal maintenance work. As there is already oil in the wood and pigment on the surface, I want to preserve as much existing Ready Seal as possible. I have found that this bleach mix will lightly clean the surface, help kill most of any mold/mildew, but most importantly preserve the existing oil in the wood.

But you are in Texas. I think it is the law there that you must use bleach mixes for everything except stripping. Ask Shane, he is a bleach master exemplar, and does very fine work. Shane is also co-founder on the "BDA", or Bleach Dwellers Association, which can now boast of an international presence.

Thanx guys, appreciate your enthusiasm to help out. Now that i know what sodium percarbonate is/does....where is a good place to find some. I usually assume anything at homedepot (as far as coatings/cleaners etc) are worthless and a waste of time/money.....

RICK--

Do you know a link to find regulations per state or i guess i'll just get in touch with shane.

And as far as equiptment goes, keep in mind right now i'm a weekend warrior for hire, and looking for some good niches, but i have 2 pump ups, some chemical brushes, a 2500psi PW'er and hoses, plastic etc, brushes...anything crucial i should have??

-Mike

Mike,

I was just kidding about Texas and bleach. No such law, except in practice. It just seems like everyone in Texas uses bleach, just a regional peculiarity, nothing more. But your competitors might run you out of town on a rail if they see 'ya using percarbs! Again, just kidding around.

Straight sodium percarbonate can be purchased on-line from The Chemistry Store. There's a bunch of commercial manu's that sell percarb wood cleaners.

Where's Shane? Set this guy up, he's a real Texan!

:banghead:

haha, i did think a little about that bleach comment, haha, but everything you guys say i take as holy wood wisdom...

:lgbow:

.......and i sent Shane a PM and he probably thinks i'm crazy now, but i would like a link to any State Reg's if ya'll know of one.

^------Ya'll = Texan for 'YOU ALL'

Thanks Rick

~Mike

I usually assume anything at homedepot (as far as coatings/cleaners etc) are worthless and a waste of time/money.....

Even when they do have a useable product, you will find that the cost is crazy compared to what you can find from some of the great suppliers on this site and others. It is good to know what they have that will work for you in a pinch though, so spend some time (not money) looking around there. They do sell percarbonate cleaners (about $14 for two pounds I think), and oxalic (7-8 dollars a pound).

As far as stain, find one you like, and can work with. There are many quality products out there. If you do go with a store bought stain (I use Sherwin Williams), be sure to get a good price. I pay about $18 a gallon for deckscapes, retail is around $30.

:banghead:

haha, i did think a little about that bleach comment, haha, but everything you guys say i take as holy wood wisdom...

:lgbow:

.......and i sent Shane a PM and he probably thinks i'm crazy now, but i would like a link to any State Reg's if ya'll know of one.

^------Ya'll = Texan for 'YOU ALL'

Thanks Rick

~Mike

Mike sorry just been busy but feel free to call me anytime and i can help you with any questions that you might have.

Thanx Larry,

I have been using Readyseal and have had no complaints and the workability of their stain is awesome. They also have some other products i can get a decent contractor price on. Hypo, brightner etc. Thanks for the tip though, i'm frequent customer at the Depot, but never their paint/stain products. Paint, i use ICI-Delux Brands, and stain is ReadySeal, and might experiment with Cabot's soon

-Mike